BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: TECATE Businessmen, YOU have a PROBLEM!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Well Baja Rat, with thousands of Nomads, hundreds of posters, many seeking drama, there are just so few reports for police shakedowns lately. Plus, with the new police and federal officers being so polite and working by the book (per posts on Nomad), it seems the bribe takers are just old school. The incidents in Ciudad Constitucion and Tecate being the two major problem towns... but following the Constitucion reports here 3-4 years ago... I traveled through that city twice, and did not see one cop (mid day). I did make sure to stop t each stop sign (count to 3) and red light, as I do here in the USA, too.

I have been a 'victim' in both Tijuana and Ensenada... back in the 1970's and 1980's. A Tecate cop pulled me over the first time we found that there was a new border access road and was going towards it the wrong way (2002?). I talked to him and he let us go, even though I was briefly on a one way street, the wrong way (no signage seen by me).

You can call me Lionel, my Nomad friend.
I guess the point is we as guests in these border towns do not enjoy the same lax treatment that the locals enjoy. Step out of line and expect to have a visit with Tecate' finest or the infamous shakedown moto cop crew.
The real stinger is when you follow the rules and get the shakedown because of your profile. :fire:

Thanks Terry, these days a camera and a list of officials is not a bad idea
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 10:58 AM

Has anyone had the dog situation with the Tecate police recently? I thought that was pretty incredible.

For six years we drove through Tecate about every 6 weeks and fortunately, never were stopped. But that is not to say many others have not been stopped in the last several years.

We were stopped MANY years ago by a cop who said we ran a red light and ignored the policeman on the street who tried to wave us over. But then he explained to us that we probably could not see the light because of the big truck next to us. He then wished us a nice day, a safe trip and told us to be careful of all the lights when we returned. Maybe it was because we had my 80 + mother-in-law in the car that he decided to just wish us a safe journey.

I know the idea of paying mordida is really frowned on around here, but there are times. We got stopped once around Santo Tomas . We were not going that fast, except we were over the speed limit. It was at the beginning of a long holiday weekend and there was no way we were going to return to Ensenada to take care of it three days later at the station.

Everyone has their own experiences with law enforcement which creates their own reality and the reality of others is not relevant. I believe everyone has to deal with their own reality and every situation is different. Frankly, I doubt we would ever chose actually going to the station unless it was in a small town that we know well; that is our reality based on the experiences of a couple of friends.

[Edited on 7-11-2015 by DianaT]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 11:19 AM

Sure Lionel, I know we are friends, and lunch mates at Mama Espinoza's!

Agree with you that one should not step out of line, in Tecate, or anywhere there are police. Stepping out of line is reserved for non-populated camp sites, right?
:light::bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 04:58 PM

Well rest easy, they are working on the solution.
http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/changes-to-streamline-import...

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Well rest easy, they are working on the solution.
http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/changes-to-streamline-import...

Thanks for the article Senor.
After reading it I get the impression it's aimed more at commercial traffic streamlining and by the investment Pena is implementing I wouldn't be surprised if we start paying more at the border with more frequent inspections on light vehicle traffic
CopaMom

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 08:59 PM

Thank you all for your replies, and putting my mind at ease. We will cross into Mexico at Tecate, and follow the rules of the road. I will report back when we get home to let you know how it went :)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 09:13 PM

CopaMom, One thing you should be aware of, if you are stopped by a local policeman, you will need to show him your license, but do not hand it to him unless it is a duplicate (Federal Police, do as he says). That cuts out the 'You have to find the police station to get it back' scam.

I personally did this in La Paz the second time they tried collect a bribe from me. I pulled it back when he started to grab it, and told him to either give me the ticket or let me go, and he waved me on.

I was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt, by a police truck with guys riding in the back, unbelted! I guess they were looking for lunch money.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 12:08 PM

Wait till they open the third crossing at the top of Blvd. 2000. I'll happily pay a toll to avoid that fat pasty chavala of a cop in Tecate. I've been yanked by him four times, the last time he told me the fine would be higher because I had a shiny new truck and could afford it. I called 078 on the Bluetooth in my truck and suddenly my terrible "crime" (waiting too long at the stop sign) was not so serious anymore.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.