Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  13
Author: Subject: Loreto Bay - the June 2007 Version
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 10:01 AM

While the world of marine conservation is trying mightily to offset/change the law that sells all the fish in the Sea of Cortez, while millions work hard every day to help the fishery, Sandy Dibble has written one piece after another praising Mexico and its leaders for their conservation moves, some recent, some very old news --- what's up with her?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 10:48 AM

"what's up with her?"
ask her directly. Maybe she'll look a little deeper. I know for a fact that the Union Tribune doesn't spend any money to allow their reporters to travel to do in-depth, investigative reports, so they must glean from other sources. Feed her what she needs to know.
Mexico is more than just Baja, and she reports on all issues, including politics (big assignment).
Baja_Girl
Nomad

Mood: suavidad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 10:51 AM

Sandra D*ibble - ace reporter - so intuitive, so inquisitive, so skeptical - I tried to explain to her (at length, fairly and succintly) the problem with LBC - they have a dream - so do I - I have a dream that Russell Crowe will divorce his beautiful wife and marry me - but then there's reality - I'm cute, but probably not THAT cute (reasonable minds might differ) - so, anyway, Ms. D*ibble wrote back that there was "nothing new" to report on. Isn't that journalistic talent at its best? I'm gonna sell a car in her San Diego newspaper that gets 500,000 miles to the gallon. Maybe that will get her editor's attention.
D*ibble, indeed.

[Edited on 6-21-2007 by BajaNomad]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:08 AM

My friend at the UT says:
"Like most of us, she's over-worked - so doesn't have the time to get to all the stuff she'd like to do. And, as is the case with most of us, her bosses don't always approve every story she'd like to work on....I'm not up on these issues, but I can tell you absolutely that there's no way Sandra Dibble is in the pocket of Mexico developers or politicians.
The best way to reach her is probably by e-mail: sandra.dibble@uniontrib.com She works out of TJ. "
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:10 AM

Baja Girl Lisa -----

The SD Union would be the last place to sympathize with goings-on in Loreto. It is such a Mexico apologist fish wrapper because they don't want to offend their neighbor to the south.
Anyway, it's plain to see that you and their Mexico scribe didn't hit it off. No surprise to me but, her name is Dibble, just in case you want to fry her with the editor. You probably know that and I'm sorry for correcting you.
rentalsloreto

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:16 AM
Loreto Bay Report

If the Loreto Bay executives do read Baja Nomad, I would like to make the suggestion that they post a 'printer freindly' copy of their report on their website so that it take less ink to print out. Currently with all the 'fancies' it is a time-consuming and expensive document to print.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:29 AM
That's not my impression

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Baja Girl Lisa -----

The SD Union would be the last place to sympathize with goings-on in Loreto. It is such a Mexico apologist fish wrapper because they don't want to offend their neighbor to the south.

The Tribune slams Mexico every chance it gets. They seem to enjoy it. But they also know that the typical cross border tourists aren't aware. They can't don't read.

LB isn't a typical tourist concern. It's about making money. The Copleys aren't about to stifle that. ;D

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

The Tribune slams Mexico every chance it gets.

No kidding? When's the last time you read anything about Hank Rhon's past in the Union?
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
No kidding? When's the last time you read anything about Hank Rhon's past in the Union?

Hank isn't a Mexican. He's a billionaire. ;D

Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:49 AM

...the point being...I took the time as per another Nomad's suggestion, wrote a thoughtful email to Sandra, offered more info...and since she had no problem dispensing the LBC propaganda - let's face it - LBC has a "press kit" that the journalists simply regurgitate - it wasn't a matter of "hitting it off" with her - blowing me off was more like it...and this is what I am reading happens over and over again with these so-called "journalists" - any do-do brain can regurgitate.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:50 AM

When he's governor, that will improve.
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 02:37 PM

The San Diego U-T editors are pretty conservative and wouldn't intuitively take a green slant. That may be changing now that it's fashionable. And of course they don't want to offend neighboring Mexico, their advertisers are selling to a lot of Mexicans. Besides, not offending neighbors is usually the smart way to go, don't you think DENNIS?

What would be news for Ms. Dibble to report on would be some organized local resistance to rapid development complete with digital pictures.

Perhaps another angle would be the ownership of so much land and below ground resources by just a few aliens along the coast (from the planet Canada right?). The Mexican Constitution forbids that in some ways, which indicates the sentiment of the proud Mexican people and their forefathers towards aliens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Mexico#Article_... last line.

No doubt what Loreto Bay is doing is legal, they bought the land from under the locals' feet fair and square (after a secret deal with Fonatur officials and suitcases full of cash).

Loreto Bay is also going to be the owner of the sometime in the future maybe windmills that are going to produce all of the electricity that Loreto Bay needs. Of course the other run amuck developers that will follow if Loreto Bay does nothing else except sell condos will need to fire up some good old fashioned oil burners, but that's not to the point.

The point is that I think there is some good old fashioned nationalism fire that needs some fuel poured on it. Imagine, an alien corporation owning the land, the drinking water, and the power supply. You can't even work for them unless you speak English. And the aliens are so white they turn pink in the sun!!

Rise up! Revolt! Give Sandra something to report upon.

Are there going to be turnstiles at the entrance to Loreto Bay?

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 03:33 PM
sandra d*ibble

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja_Girl
Sandra D*ibble - ace reporter - so intuitive, so inquisitive, so skeptical - I tried to explain to her (at length, fairly and succintly) the problem with LBC - they have a dream - so do I - I have a dream that Russell Crowe will divorce his beautiful wife and marry me - but then there's reality - I'm cute, but probably not THAT cute (reasonable minds might differ) - so, anyway, Ms. D*ibble wrote back that there was "nothing new" to report on. Isn't that journalistic talent at its best? I'm gonna sell a car in her San Diego newspaper that gets 500,000 miles to the gallon. Maybe that will get her editor's attention.
D*ibble, indeed.

I received no response to my lenghthy letter to her asking for an investigative report. she's owned

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 04:48 PM

Well forget the Union Tribune. How 'bout 60 Minutes?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Well forget the Union Tribune. How 'bout 60 Minutes?

That's a great idea I was also thinking National Geographic
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 06:18 PM

Sandra D.

She's probably not going to report opinion, or recant previous reporting. You need to alert her to current "news."

Maybe something like:

"Booming Baja Resort Development Threatened As City Imposes Water Use Restrictions"

"Loreto Water Police on the Move, Citations Issued"

Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 06:33 PM

Don,
but I wasn't trying to give her opinion - I was inviting her to "investigate" and fetter out fact vs. fiction. I wasn't being a brat (I know how to do that, too...) But Sandra D. wouldn't have it...**************************

Anyway, re-publishing fairy tales and fantasies isn't "journalism" - and that's what she did...without question.

BTW, did you get a citation or know someone who did? Was this published in the local news - to kind of deflect away from the fact that the little boat ramp was going to be on the DL?

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 07:23 PM

I still see people watering the street, washing cars with hoses, no citations that I've heard about. In fact the only water restrictions I've heard about were right here on this board. Funny thing is that most people here don't know about these restrictions.
Baja_Girl
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 07:28 PM

Pam, that is funny...I snuck into town two weekends ago - a quick visit - and my host - bajabird - and his gardener - and other homeowners we talked to, were very much aware of it...they were laughing about "that will be the day I don't wash down my boat...I'd rather pay the fine."

Geez, I thought that Loreto was the world's greatest secret - but now I think it has little secrets all its own.

I thought about 60 minutes, BTW, this is far from over...
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 07:44 PM

OK I guess I'll ask lots of folks in Miramar if they are aware of the restrictions. Seriously I didn't know about them except for reading it here but we're off the water grid and conserve anyway because we have so little. The anuncias don't make it up our way too often (only during elections time)
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.