Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Beers of the Baja
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 07:51 PM

DENNIS Have an original "Church key" made by the Ranger Tobacco Co. :yes: Found it at an old farm house down south, must be about 100yrs. old. Actually looks like a large key.:spingrin: It's a bottle opener on one end and an odd looking can opener on the other.:tumble:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:18 PM

Yeah...for sure, thats what they were. About 3/16s steel. You could pop off a hubcap with a good church key.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
DAMN, you guys are old!

how did you open a brew 102? had to carry a can opener with you????:?:

A stout knife or screwdriver would work in a pinch. I can remember piling into the old Plymouth with some friends and a few 6 packs and heading to Tin Can Beach. Everywhere you looked, rusted cans on the beach. Seems to have lost it's character over the years though. No tin cans anymore, just multi-million $$$$ homes.

As far as being "old", you'll find that your definition of that word will change with time.

I think the world is run by C- students.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG

A stout knife or screwdriver would work in a pinch.

On the old beer cans, you would need a REALLY stout knife. They were made of heavy steel like the bumpers on old cars.
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 08:29 AM

Maybe Garrison belts should come back into style, so the the buckle could be used as a "Church Key" again like the "good old days".:light: Or maybe like the old WWII movies where they just broke the neck of the bottle off by hitting it on a rock. Oops, forgot Mexican beer comes in deposit bottles.:P:P:P
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Superior was also popular in the early 60s.

I remember Superior what happened to that one? Before Boones Farm there was Red Mountain, not even wine just colored alcohol and about the time of 102 was Spring Beer, green and came with it's own nasty hangover.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 02:07 PM

I think I've heard that Superior is still around somewhere.
Red Mountain? Oh, yeah. Drank a lot of that at 1.25 a gallon. Nowhere on the label does it say Wine. It didn't say Parts Wash either but, it should have.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Maybe Garrison belts should come back into style, so the the buckle could be used as a "Church Key" again like the "good old days".:light: Or maybe like the old WWII movies where they just broke the neck of the bottle off by hitting it on a rock. Oops, forgot Mexican beer comes in deposit bottles.:P:P:P

I am not sure if the bottle came first but I think so...I do remember The original church key had only had a triangle hole punch and soon after they punch a flat bottle opener on the other end...then came the humping bottle opener on the other end...1952??

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I think I've heard that Superior is still around somewhere.
Red Mountain? Oh, yeah. Drank a lot of that at 1.25 a gallon. Nowhere on the label does it say Wine. It didn't say Parts Wash either but, it should have.

Superior is still available on the mainland.

For some reason I can't remember Red Mountain. Maybe I just never went in for the rot gut when I could enjoy a nice Thunderbird for $.79.

Reminds me of the time we were in Vegas with some friends in the mid-80's. The women wanted some wine instead of beer. Mike and I make a dash across LV Blvd almost getting killed coming and going to the liquor store. We are still hearing about the "wine product" we brought back.

I think the world is run by C- students.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 06:17 PM

Thunderbird, the quality product that it is, has endured. Probably finer than ever.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 07:25 PM
Found another fine stout

Had to revive this thread to tell you of a San Diego beer...Stone Brewery.
This is a Imperial Russian Stout...the claim is no sin was committed in the brewing of this seemingly pernicious brew.
To me the taste is massive, and no bite. Better then most wines....a limited spring 2007 release.
Now this is beer:cool:
Hope to have breweries in Baja that produce something like this...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 08:16 PM

Cypress, I still have my "church key" that I used in high school and let's say that was some, yea some, time back. It's magic, as it remembers each and every time how to get that beer open quick:biggrin:!!! Just love a tool that keeps on giving and giving gooooooood service:bounce:. Later------bajafun777

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 05:22 PM

Not sure how I've let this thread slip by me so far.

Weighing in:

Nochebuena is one word when referring to Xmas eve, the plant, or the beer.

Pun: El colmo de una solterona; tantas navidades sin una noche buena.

XXX made both a clara and an oscura. The oscura was darker than XX. Served with a raw egg, it was helpful for curing "la cruda".

XX was once described by a food critic as "delightful as the laughter of a maiden being chased by her lover on a warm summer night."

The best true draft beer in Mexico is Kloster's. Brewed in Monterrey, available in restaurants and cantinas in Mexico City. Distributed in kegs only, no bottle or cans. Sorry, you won't find it in Baja or in stores anywhere.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

XX was once described by a food critic as "delightful as the laughter of a maiden being chased by her lover on a warm summer night."

That's exactly what occured to me after I drank the first box.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 06:20 PM

is this a "church key"? it's been on my key ring for 4-5 years. don't remember where i got it.

says "Famous Narragansett Ale" on the front and "icago" (worn off) and "pat. no. 2,018,083" around the hole for the key ring on the back.

scan (Small).jpg - 10kB

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 06:39 PM

That looks like a pretty baja -proof opener there Woody .

Here's one similar on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Schoenhofens-Edelweiss-Beer-Bott...

Got me thinking , what did I do with my old ice pick? Since there are now cubitos everywhere I forgot about it. That used to be standard equipment and hung from the camper door.

[Edited on 10-12-2007 by Bajalero]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 06:52 PM

The worst beer I ever had was a XXX served up very warm at Ranch de Castro, en route from Mallirrimo 1970

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 07:21 PM

Woody....

That looks like a bottle opener. You've seen church keys. They have a triangular, sharp pointed end. You probably have one in your tackle box.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.