BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  15
Author: Subject: GRETCHEN SMITH...
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 05:34 PM

"Chases drug dealers off her street with a paint brush".

Why do I detect a "Hmmm things may not be as reported" in all this? To pre-judge sometimes can be a fatal error. Mexican law allows the incarceration of a "suspect" for 72 hours while information is presented to the ministerio publico. Mexico is not the United States. Never was, never will be. When I explain this to gringos they become indignant. I would have thought they would have felt fortunate to have grown up in a free society. Ever stop to think about why you get upset when an "American" is treated the exact same way as a Mexican ciudadano? And not ponder for a microsecond the plight of 115,000,000 Mexicans? It's like the uproar in the sixties when a CHP officer pulled over a German citizen and handcuffed him when the man got a little indignant about being cited for doing exactly 101 miles per hour on the bayshore freeway. "Look at the sign" the man said pointing at the US101 sign. This was followed by hundreds of letters from indignant Germans threatening to never set foot in the USA over police harassment.

Mexicans smirk and growl near Valentine's day when the cops are out collecting a little extra money on the side. Even repeat visitors never bother to ask about Mexican laws or customs. Smack with a military vehicle even slightly and you will find yourself behind bars - no matter who is at fault. Not your fault and your adjuster is prompt and competent you will be sprung quickly. Same for colliding with a wealthy person's vehicle or an influential person's vehicle. You get a lesson in reality whether you like it or not.

We know better than go head-to-head with a U.S. Customs Inspector, right? But somehow some U.S. citizens feel they can dump on a Mexican cop. I know I cannot dump on either - that's life. Screaming at a cop, embarrassing him in front of co-workers or the public is a sure way to go to the slammer for 72 hours. I am stunned this "individual" claims to be "Baja this" or "Baja that" yet is completely ignorant of how Mexico works. I would be surprised if INM did not get a judge to issue a 10-year suspended prison sentence and have her blacklisted. I did not say I would approve of it, this is where some of you get all screwed-up, I said I would be surprised if it did not happen. "Dog The Bounty Hunter" found out how vindictive an outraged legal and INM system can be. Not only did he snatch someone without greasing official wheels, he engaged in "Lucrative Activity" while on an FMT permit.

Mexico is different. Everyone from the citizenry to the legislative branch is sick and tired of Americans thinking they are somehow immune to Mexican law. A lot of laws are unjust and the Napoleonic System is bass-ackward as far as I am concerned, but it is useless to stay ignorant of how it works.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
Bi-polar people can be good witnesses ya know, they can tell the truth from THEIR perspective, l!

What??? ............."OUR" perspective?
What might that be?
Are we deformed? Are we in need of guidance?.....assistance??
Are we in need of your tolerance? Your understanding?

Is our perspective different from "normal" clear thinking persons, such as you and the people you address here on this board?

I have been medicated...hospitalized ...as well as restrained for my mind activities, but they were never dangerous to anyone other than myself.
My mind is as clear as I want it to be and I feel I conduct myself on this board with a modicum of coherence.

So....why in hell do you come off with this condescending crap about Bi-Polar people's ability to function on a normal plain.......like we're f-in'g damaged but functional , and it's OK with you?

[Edited on 10-12-2013 by DENNIS]

[Edited on 10-12-2013 by BajaNomad]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 06:05 PM

if you re read, I said something to the effect of, what does it matter if someone is bi-polar or not. She isn't any less credible in my opinion. I don't see how her being bi-polar is a factor in any of this like some people eluded to and I was speaking to that. She's not damaged.

Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 06:05 PM

Regardless of the specifics of this incident as reported by Tall Artist, WHO on this board would leave for a walk at 9 AM, barefoot, AND IN THEIR "PAJAMAS" with a cup of coffee down a very public beach?
[9:35 tape #1].

As the well-respected behavioral sociologist, Erving Goffman would say, THAT is an exhibition of "occult behavior" —something out of the range of expected human behavior.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 06:31 PM

pajamas can mean many things...but really, sweat pants and a t-shirt are PJ's for some people...I dont think she was parading down the beach in baby-dolls..kidding kidding....and walking the beach barefoot is NOT out of the ordinary for many folks.

Also back to the suspect in custody...in the photo of him, we dont see his calves and I know some surfers who have bellies like that here in baja. Those probably arent the clothes he had on at the beach.

Isnt there some kind of human rights office in Rosarito...maybe as part of DIF?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 06:41 PM

No Mexican woman would walk on the beach in pajamas—ever. (The murder seems to have been triggered by alleged indecent exposure.)

I can only quote that Tall Artist described herself as wearing "her pajamas" when she went for her walk down the beach. She didn't say she was wearing sweat pants. She didn't say she was wearing a warm-up outfit. She said she was wearing her pajamas.

She is also wearing pajamas or a nightgown in her 4-part interview.

Just observations that caught my attention.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 06:53 PM

You folks are micro-analyzing things too much.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
if you read,

I also read...very well.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Wow and she is a Christian artist. Well, BajaRat I never claimed to be a devout Christian but I don't think I would say what Joe quoted her saying here, I come from the East Coast and my Dad was from Brooklyn so I did pick up some favorite East Coast quotes, but never did say that even to any man I was mad at. From what I understand she is around 40 years old, I guess Joe considers that "old". She also considers herself beautiful and able to go from rugged to formal in a moment's notice.

Here is her web page:

http://bajaartists.com/gretchen-m-smith/

I wasn't going to mention it, but I also briefly looked into what a Google search brings up on Grechen's background and that too raised a few red flags in my mind.

She presents herself as a beautiful and creative young woman with some of her pictures that clearly must be at least 10 years old. And she also says weird things like she chased away drug dealers with only her paint brush.

Clearly her Youtube video is more like this woman really is in real life than the picture she tries to paint of herself on her many websites, and if don't have time to watch the whole four part video set, you should at the very least see part 4 at the very end of the video where she says she was let out of jail, but suddenly she becomes very agitated and creepy and looks like she is going into another bi-polar rage before the video ends. But it's also here where she mentions what the Mexican judge told her about not fighting anymore, and then she goes off how she will always fight, etc etc.......It makes be believe this woman might have been going off the rails during most of her visit in the Rosarito jail within the 72 time period the judge probably had the legal right to keep her before finally letting her go.

Of course this could also be nothing, because a lot of people present themselves on the Internet how they would like to be seen by others, but they usually fall short when you see the real person, and learn a little about them in real life.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 08:28 PM

Filmed like The Blair Witch Project. Interesting.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
It appears to me that some posters here are enjoying tearing this woman down. Her only sin was fighting with police whose credibiliy is questioned by most anyone who follows the history of that organization.

Anyone with half a brain knows that these posts are potentially forever on the internet. I quess you wouldn't mind your grandkids reading some of this.
Rant over.

Ken

Well it also seems to me some people enjoy tearing Mexico, and Mexicans down for their own enjoyment or their vein attempts at keeping other Americans from Mexico, because they had a bad experience in Mexico. I would love to give a few examples, but those examples are better said in the OT, where I mentioned them many times before.

This woman Gretchen may be 100 percent right with her account of how things went down, or she could also be a bi-polar mess with an ax to grind because the Rosarito police didn't jump to attention when she told them that she is a very important person. ( she told them that)

If you bash Mexico, Baja, and Mexicans, there are some people including Mexicans that are going to take a close look at those bashing Mexico, and turn them upside down, and shake them, and see what falls out. This women made a public YouTube video, that could have a negative impact on Mexican, Baja, and Rosarito tourism. This women if she is willing to do this, should be ready to be scrutinized closely by others who at the very least try to see both sides of the story.

Personally, I always try to leave last names out when giving on online opinions because I also do respect the privacy of others while I'm turning over the rocks and looking at what lies beneath.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 08:48 PM

I took what she said about chasing drug dealers away with paint brushes is that in the community she lives in she teaches art classes and/or organizes art gatherings on the beach, therefore helps to provide an alternative, a creative outlet for those who are troubled.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Well it also seems to me some people enjoy tearing Mexico, and Mexicans down for their own enjoyment or their vein attempts at keeping other Americans from Mexico, because they had a bad experience in Mexico. I would love to give a few examples, but those examples are better said in the OT, where I mentioned them many times before.

This woman Gretchen may be 100 percent right with her account of how things went down, or she could also be a bi-polar mess with an ax to grind because the Rosarito police didn't jump to attention when she told them that she is a very important person. ( she told them that)

If you bash Mexico, Baja, and Mexicans, there are some people including Mexicans that are going to take a close look at those bashing Mexico, and turn them upside down, and shake them, and see what falls out. This women made a public YouTube video, that could have a negative impact on Mexican, Baja, and Rosarito tourism. This women if she is willing to do this, should be ready to be scrutinized closely by others who at the very least try to see both sides of the story.

Personally, I always try to leave last names out when giving on online opinions because I also do respect the privacy of others while I'm turning over the rocks and looking at what lies beneath.
Joe, You are one sick puppy to dump on this woman after what she's been through.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 10:51 PM

yeah....she's been through a lot....but from what i see, she NEVER gets out of her pajamas; from her walk on the beach, through ALL of her 4 interviews...she's ALWAYS in her pajamas...so...what does that say about her mental state???...i dunno; just an open question....does she own a pair of jeans?

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 11:02 PM

What a sobering video. It makes you think twice about retiring in baja.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 09:07 AM
Could have been worse...

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
No Mexican woman would walk on the beach in pajamas—ever. (The murder seems to have been triggered by alleged indecent exposure.)

I can only quote that Tall Artist described herself as wearing "her pajamas" when she went for her walk down the beach. She didn't say she was wearing sweat pants. She didn't say she was wearing a warm-up outfit. She said she was wearing her pajamas.

She is also wearing pajamas or a nightgown in her 4-part interview.

Just observations that caught my attention.

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 09:20 AM
Here's another one of her 223 YouTube videos...

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe

http://youtu.be/nn9-aDuvi6o

Bob Durrell
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 09:26 AM

Seems to me if this had happened to me there would be a follow up video reporting a trip to the US Consulate, after all she made it clear on the video
screaming she was an American Citizen.....

I hear the whales song
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe

http://youtu.be/nn9-aDuvi6o
From her other videos it appears that she's a compassionate, caring person who is involved in trying to make her community a better place, rather than the misguided nutball that some here are trying to portray her as, and certainly no Mexican hating racist like Joe is making her out to be. I just hope if tragedy ever strikes me or my family, there is someone like her around, and not the people here who have questioned her motives and blamed her for her own misfortune.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 10:46 AM

Has there been any recent activity on her facebook page?

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.