Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  63    65    67  ..  118
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 02:21 PM

Better gather up all your toys and batten the hatches and lockdown, JZ before "they" come to take it all away.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 03:03 PM

Dpiso,

Lets go out on a limb and suggest that I meant Iran. Iran is #6 on the list. Russia and Iran combined about equal India and will never reduce their CO2 emissions or stop selling oil until they run out. China isn’t going to stop either.

Whats better about living in a concrete box? Most of which leak when it rains!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 03:31 PM

My "concrete box" doesn't leak when it rains. Neither does almost anyone else's I know.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 04:46 PM

S,
Great, there are a number of $1M US + block houses around us that fix the roof every year after it rains. I’m glad your’s doesn’t leak.

To the other climate extremists, it’s a lot easer to talk the talk than walk the walk.

We walk the walk!

Solar bread, baked by the sun!

[Edited on 7-7-2023 by RFClark]

IMG_2626.jpeg - 85kB

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 06:11 PM

It requires maintenance, like everything in this climate. I go up every year or two, powerwash the roofs and apply another coat of waterproof paint. And use the fiberglass sealer fabric over any cracks that develop. The people with million dollar plus houses aren't hands-on, so they aren't aware of things to check until it becomes a problem.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2023 at 07:50 PM

S,

The 1st roof we did in San Felipe in 2006 has never leaked. We used the snow roofing system. Only needs a coat of elastomeric white coating every few years
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 05:25 AM

A million-square-mile gravity hole that is lowering the oceans

300 feet lower sea level? Thats a huge difference!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/giant-gravity-hol...

[Edited on 7-7-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 07:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
A million-square-mile gravity hole that is lowering the oceans

300 feet lower sea level? Thats a huge difference!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/giant-gravity-hol...

[Edited on 7-7-2023 by JDCanuck]

gosh darnn scientists!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 07:10 AM

What, me worry?

‘We are in uncharted territory’: World records hottest day ever for the third time in just four days

The planet registered its hottest day since records began for the third time in just four days this week, deepening fears about the far-reaching changes taking place in Earth’s system because of the climate emergency.

Unofficial data from U.S. researchers showed the planet’s daily average temperature soared to 17.23 degrees Celsius (63.01 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday, surpassing two previous heat records registered in recent days.

The extraordinary feat comes shortly after the European Union’s climate change service confirmed the planet observed its hottest June on record, with unprecedented sea surface temperatures and record low Antarctic sea ice.

Climate scientists are deeply concerned.

Indeed, the U.N. weather agency recently warned that the combination of ever-increasing greenhouse gas emissions and the return of El Niño is likely to mean the worst is still to come.

“The global temperature record smashed again yesterday,” Bill McGuire, professor emeritus of geophysical and climate hazards at University College London, said via Twitter.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 08:07 AM

Goat,

The “we” is us. The planet has been here before! Move to BCS it’s nice here!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
My "concrete box" doesn't leak when it rains. Neither does almost anyone else's I know.

No leaks at my house. A steel house 300 yards from saltwater? What could possibly go wrong?
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 08:40 AM

PB,

Got rebar? Got drywall? Both rot in this level of humidity, you just can’t see it.
Our place is cement on the outside and inside. The steel is in the middle just like rebar, but unlike rebar it’s all coated so it won’t rust. Containers are 10 year rated for salt spray on a ship without any extra coating. We have coating, cement and sealer on the cement.

What’s in your walls? Think condos in Florida here!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 09:23 AM

I worked for almost a year on a missile defense project in the Aleutian Islands. All of the rebar used in that project was epoxy coated to prevent it from rusting out over time.

Due to either a change in design, or an error in the original plan we had to demolish some of the early construction about six months into the project. The way the concrete separated from the rebar, you would think it was coated with teflon.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 09:34 AM

AK,

A lot of Mexican construction leaves the rebar sticking out at the top and ends which can allow water to seep in. There’s also a blow through problem with block walls in very high winds. Even ones coated with cement or plaster. (Cracks!)

Most of the US buyers here never watched their houses being built. If they had and knew anything about construction they’d never buy some of them.

But you also need to consider the source.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
AK,

A lot of Mexican construction leaves the rebar sticking out at the top and ends which can allow water to seep in.

It isn't really water "seeping in". It's that the rebar sticking out starts to rust and the rust travels along the length of the rebar. And rust never sleeps.
stillnbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
AK,

A lot of Mexican construction leaves the rebar sticking out at the top and ends which can allow water to seep in.

It isn't really water "seeping in". It's that the rebar sticking out starts to rust and the rust travels along the length of the rebar. And rust never sleeps.

is it true they leave rebar sticking up so that the building isn't finished and there's some tax savings?? or is that wives tale?
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 10:02 AM

S,

Water is why the steel rusts. Steel takes Oxygen from the water and for most steels the oxide coating is soluble in water. Aluminum is far more reactive in water than is steel but aluminum’s oxide coating isn’t as soluble as steel’s so it protects the aluminum from further oxidation

The reason stainless steel won’t rust is because it’s passivated so that most of its surface is really nickel. Passivation removes the surface steel and leaves the nickel.

SB,

No, that’s the reason “Taxes”!

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 10:15 AM

Of course water, in the form of rain, or high humidity is what causes steel to rust. Duh. I don't know why you think it necessary to mansplain the obvious to me.

What I was saying is that you could seal really well around rebar sticking out of the roof, so no water could seep in, but the exposed rebar will rust and the rust will eventually travel through the length of the rebar in the walls.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 10:21 AM

S,

You’re the one who said, “it isn’t really the water seeping in”! But it really is!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2023 at 12:19 PM

Y’all are professional engineers, eh? Experts in structural, corrosion and civil!

Woke!

Pages:  1  ..  63    65    67  ..  118

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.