Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  13
Author: Subject: Loreto Bay - the June 2007 Version
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 08:16 PM

Having just read 7 pages of dis-orderly b-tching about LB it's obvious to me that that the folks who want to preserve Loreto need to get orgainized. You need a team and a leader, a strategy, legal representation, and a fund raising plan to fight them.
Baja_Girl
Nomad

Mood: suavidad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 08:43 PM

JZ - thanks for the reminder of this...

A long, long time ago, a princess queen lawyer went to Loreto and spent the day on a boat and in the Sea of Cortez SCUBA diving. Dolphins showed the way. (But when the PQL jumped into the water to swim with the dolphins, they went away. :no:)

This was way back when there was an all-inclusive adults-only resort at Nopolo. It was an enchanted place. Loreto stole her heart forever.

While in Loreto, she saw a reference to an organization called

"Friends of Loreto." "Friend of the City of Loreto" "Friends of Loreto BCS"

???

Was it at the airport? Was it in a newspaper? Or in her wildest dreams?

Years pass. The PQL wants to organize a group to be the friends of loreto. Alas, has anyone heard of "Friends of Loreto" - or was the PQL just imagining this? Does this group exist? Who were the Friends of Loreto?

Maybe a place to start?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja_Girl
...has anyone heard of "Friends of Loreto" - or was the PQL just imagining this? Does this group exist? Who were the Friends of Loreto?
http://friendsofloreto.org

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 05:00 AM

I have this notion that there is a difference between investigative reporting and plain old reporting of newsworthy events. Investigative reporting is perhaps an expense that is devoted only to topics of interest to many of the paper's readers. I don't think a town 600 hundred miles or so south of San Diego meets that criteria for the Union-Tribune.

Maybe that's why the U-T's response was that nothing new has happened.

The subterfuge embodied by the the Loreto Bay marketing campaign is in my opinion newsworthy. They have taken the very essence of the environmental problems developers cause and used them as an argument to market their fantasy. Their low volume toilets are a good thing according to them, when actually toilets are not a good thing at all when considering the environment.

If they were redeveloping an area and replacing environmentally destructive devices with new devices that were less so, I'd give them 3 cheers. Come to Tijuana, please.

If they were developing needed new affordable housing in an eco-friendly way, I'd give them 3 cheers. Come to Tijuana, please.

But they're not doing any of that. They are simply catering to the almost rich and building a foreign vacation spot in a foreign land. They are not redeveloping a bad place into a better place nor are they developing something that is even close to being needed.

They are not being constructive, they are being destructive. That's the subterfuge.

The nouveau riche can really be annoying. :moon:

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 08:41 AM

The non-profit Friends of Loreto organization is exactly what is needed in order to apply for grants from the Loreto Bay Foundation. They pretty much only grant funds to other non-profits. Friends of Loreto needs to organize themselves and apply for grants on a regular basis. Way too much wasted money flowing from the LB Foundation.

I think a collaborative effort to prepare a presentation to submit to 60 Minutes is a must. I think the "sustainable" development issue is ripe for dissection. Developers: Weapons of mass destruction wrapped in a "sustainability" package.
LB Co. exemplifies the conundrum -- for instance, they state: “The principles of New Urbanism inspired the planning and design of The Villages of Loreto Bay. New Urbanism is an international movement to reform the design of cities and neighborhoods to create better places to live. It strives to be the revival of our lost art of place-making, a move away from automobile dependence and urban sprawl and a return to the way communities have been built for centuries around the world. New Urbanism produces a town like those great villages in Europe and old Mexico.”

IN FACT, the “great villages in Europe and old Mexico” are full of Europeans and Mexicans, while the Village at Loreto Bay will be filled with couples from Scottsdale and Vancouver. No children walking to school (no school!), no teenagers hanging out at the sports fields, no discos, no tortillaria, no panaderia, no families going to the church on the corner, no open markets, nobody traveling to a job. No garages full of boats, fishing gear, kayaks, diving gear, gardening supplies – no garages! And what could exemplify urban sprawl more clearly than the Villages of Loreto Bay – high density units strung 3 miles along the coast south of the town of Loreto.

That is urban sprawl -- and the development is not sustainable to this day. 60 Minutes could rip them apart.
Baja_Girl
Nomad

Mood: suavidad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 10:29 AM

Everyone should view:

www.friendsofloreto.org -

and if you do nothing else, maybe try to help this charity with a few dollars. I have donated recreational items to various organizations in Loreto...and the appreciation expressed back has been tremendous.

but, alas, I digress...I will think more about the need to organize. JZ is absolutely right.

I have "U2U'd" some folks about coming to have dinner with me...if you are in Loreto on July 10th, and would like to meet - please U2U me for details.

tu amiga
lisa marie
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 12:33 PM

Why would anyone buy into a housing project with no water, no sewage disposal, no parking, no this and no that.:O The answer is "No! Don't do it".:)
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 02:06 PM

Sounds like Bagdad.
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:12 PM

"Developers: Weapons of mass destruction wrapped in a "sustainability" package."

SUBTERFUGE!!

Does this fit?

"Over the last 30 years, as environmentalism has slowly shifted from fringe to fact of life, the definition of “green” has morphed into a hip, educated social identity, and a public relations tool. “The idea is to advertise where you’re weakest, and the companies that have the worst problems spend the most money to massage their reputations,” says Sheldon Rampton, of the Center for Media and Democracy, which runs SourceWatch, an online newsletter that compares the claims of companies with their actual actions. "

http://www.sourcewatch.org/

I found this little gem while researching exactly what propaganda is. I've called the LB marketing drivel propaganda and I wanted to be sure of myself. Turns out they are using a classic propaganda technique in all their advertising. And it is so blatant. See one of the nifty angles they are playing is that they are selling Mexican real estate to Americans and Canadians. Their advertising doesn't need to follow any kind of "truth" regulations.

Anyway:

"Transfer is a device by which the propagandist carries over the authority, sanction, and prestige of something we respect and revere to something he would have us accept. "

The something we respect is mother nature, the something to be accepted is massive development.

http://www.propagandacritic.com/articles/ct.fc.transfer.html

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
See one of the nifty angles they are playing is that they are selling Mexican real estate to Americans and Canadians.

That's a tough sentence, it was my Jimmy Cagney impersonation:

See, ya see, doncha see tough guy, one of the nifty angles they are playing is that they are selling Mexican real estate to Americans and Canadians. Ya see? Yeah.

Sorry folks, this is just my notepad for Oldhippie's View from the Left column on Lisa Marie's website.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:48 PM

oldhippie.:lol: Yea, I see!:yes:
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:55 PM

hence they can lie through their gold crowned broken teeth and their singl malt scotch soaked breath,

see, ya see, docha see. They're no good, see. Listen to me!

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 04:45 PM

Lisa count me in. See you in a few weeks!
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

Why would anyone buy into a housing project with no water, no sewage disposal, no parking, no this and no that.:O

Simply to speculate for future profit by merely flipping it to the next chump that stops in Loreto for a visit.

:(
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 06:04 PM

The greater fool theory.

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 01:18 PM

Loreto Bay sucks...always has and always will. Period.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 04:45 PM

capn.sharky, maybe it's the pumps sucking water that you're hearing.

A while back I explained that Loreto will be a great diving destination because, due to global warming, scuba divers will be able to sit at "Founders Village" patio tables and spear fish.

Naturally there were nomads who questioned the idea that sea level properties are threatened by inconvenient truths.

Well...........................

In San Diego sea level increases are going to be interesting. From Sunday's paper:

"But even a modest increase paints a doomsday path of devastation: Point Loma would become an island and Lindbergh Field would need seaplanes.
Mission Beach would submerge into Mission Bay. North Island and Coronado would morph to a soggy mess as waves lap over much of the Crown Isle."

So we can rename "Founders Village" to "Flounders Village"

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20070624-9999-lz...

bancoduo
Banned

thumbup.gif posted on 6-25-2007 at 04:56 PM
GO GLOBAL WARMING

In other words it will return to its natural state.:bounce:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

lol.gif posted on 6-25-2007 at 06:56 PM
well maybe , but.....

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
Loreto Bay sucks...always has and always will. Period.

i just got their latest promo sales glossy/pkg and the new DVD, its very well done.
not my cup o' tequila - too much built in density, but i'll tell you for sure -
they are dead serious about this project, are VERY WELL funded, have Fonatur strongly behind them all the way and could give a ratz arse about detractors because they have the sales and HP to prove the deal. and it is a 10 year plan afterall so global economical stuff could problematicALLY give it levels of heart burn i guess.

like i say, i would n't buy there, i am trailer trash type folks.
but i have a friend in phx, he's loaded $$ and bought a nice unit, and LOVES it. and loves the concept and his neighbors.

guess i'll get to visit him this fall.
Their Sales lady will comp my stay if i buzz over in july. i told her there isn't enuff AC in the whole town to get me there walking around Loreto in july or August! good luck!
funny.....offer doesn't extend to october....go figure! well, that's marketeers fur ya!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 07:32 PM

Capn. Mike you sure hit the nail on the head about the heat in July, August and Sept. in Loreto. I don't know how the Mexicans without air conditioning do it. I have noticed they sweat just like me when it gets hot. As for your friend in Phoenix ---ever notice the guys with the big bucks seem to buy the worst things and then cover their a-- by telling everyone how happy they are with what they got. When his house is laying all over the beach, we'll see how he likes it. Does he own a home in Tahoe too?

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.