Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7  
Author: Subject: Going Vegan....
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 04:06 PM

Why is that most the people that have given up something, spend time tiring to convince the rest of us that we should too? Ex-smoker, ex-meat eater. ex-drinker ex-what ever. I have chosen at one time or another to not do these things, even went Vegan for 1 year. I choose to live a life of moderation in most things, most of the time. I do not believe that I should enforce the same on others, or justify my choice. Being a zealot in anything makes me wonder and question why/who this person is. Once we take up a cause we justify our actions to support the cause.
I live life according to my rules please, don't get upset if I don't choose yours. I don't care if you don't follow mine.;D

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 04:07 PM

What hairs am I splitting? We have been created to eat meat and plant material. You choose to do only eat one of the two.

That's like having two arms but going about life with one tied behind your back, the 'bad' one. Your choice.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
That's the point. You can choose to be a plant eater but you ARE an omnivore.

I don't know about that. You're splitting hairs, so I will too. I have the capability of being an omnivore, but I am a herbivore, by choice. Why? Because I choose not to subject others to suffering and an unnatural death to satisfy my taste buds.

Thanks for the discussion.

You won't subject others to suffering to satisfy your taste buds, but you will to satisfy your wife...even when more humane choices, e.g., snap traps or havaheart traps for mice, are available?

[Edited on 9-28-2012 by elizabeth]

[Edited on 9-28-2012 by elizabeth]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 05:09 PM
Choices...

Well, my son is a fanatic about forcing this diet on me, not for animal rights as I have mentioned before. I certainly didn't think a diet would be fought over as much as politics or religion!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Why is that most the people that have given up something, spend time tiring to convince the rest of us that we should too? Ex-smoker, ex-meat eater. ex-drinker ex-what ever. I have chosen at one time or another to not do these things, even went Vegan for 1 year. I choose to live a life of moderation in most things, most of the time. I do not believe that I should enforce the same on others, or justify my choice. Being a zealot in anything makes me wonder and question why/who this person is. Once we take up a cause we justify our actions to support the cause.
I live life according to my rules please, don't get upset if I don't choose yours. I don't care if you don't follow mine.;D
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 05:52 PM

Your son just wants you to live longer it your choice, you do know the rules.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 06:24 PM

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 07:19 PM

Ensenadadr. for you.

http://www.vegetarianoen21dias.org/

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 09:07 PM
Free Choice

SOME people (invariably "Liberal") are in favor of the freedom of others to CHOOSE as long as it's the choice THEY (the "Libs") favor.

I'm ALL for ANYBODY choosing to eat Grass, Roots, Leaves or SCHEISSE if they wish.

And to leave others the choice to cook up some Dead COW if so desired.

Along with Pigs, Chickens, Lambs, Fish ..................

I have it on the HIGHEST authority of all that it's OK.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
SOME people (invariably "Liberal") are in favor of the freedom of others to CHOOSE as long as it's the choice THEY (the "Libs") favor.

Shut up stupid.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2012 at 11:28 PM
A couple of observations about the mores of eating meat

pets as food
It's my understanding that the inhabitants of south american forests often capture small animals which are kept in the villages as pets. Eventually, however, these pets are consumed by their owners without any sense of guilt.

cannibalism
Many south sea islanders were bewildered and confused by the revulsion europeans felt for their practice of eating enemies slain in battle. They would go to great lengths to hide these practices from the europeans in order to not offend them. The missionaries were particularly disgusted by these practices, which of course led to replacing a 'bad' culture with a 'good' culture.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 08:42 AM

Obtaining a complete protein was and still is a vegetarian's hurdle. Early man did not run down to the corner cave and purchase iron supplements, protein powder, and biotin. How long can a hominid live without ingesting a complete protein?

No doubt our distant ancestors grubbed for food. But the first, and I mean earliest man who chanced upon a dead squirrel, rabbit, deer, or whatever after a lightning strike kindled a fast moving brush fire and roasted an animal. The odor emanating from the animal overcame any fear or doubt, and if protein was in short supply the effect(s) that animal flesh consumption provided (an amazing increase in energy and vitality) overwhelmed a desire to remain vegetarian. I just shake my head and wonder about it. Insects of course could provide protein, but sometimes insects are in too short supply for months at a time.

My opinion is early man survived by asserting a very aggressive stance when it came to trying new things to eat. Scurvy, Rickets, and a whole host of other shortages would have wiped man from the face of the earth had he not been aggressive.

Too much of one thing, too little of another is always detrimental to health of any organism. A person can drink too much water, eat too much salt, live on empty calories and fat...for awhile.

Too many university studies are conducted by researchers who have innate biases for the subject they are studying. Political studies done by hard left or right oriented researchers. Nutrition studies proffered by individuals who are proponents of a restricted or specialized diet. Their very interest in the subject indicates they may have taken a personal position with regard to that subject.

Nutrition should be based on many things. Among them, a balanced diet, free of pesticides, preservatives, added hormones, colors, flavors, etc. IMHO (I have no proof) a diet should contain no more than 5% total weight proportion in meat or meat products. Eighty percent of the remaining portion in fresh fruit and vegetables. Little white flour, and very little refined sugars.

That being said, I'll go grab a Snickers® bar and pour some very strong coffee for breakfast. Yes I am just kidding.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

Too much of one thing, too little of another is always detrimental to health of any organism. A person can drink too much water, eat too much salt, live on empty calories and fat...for awhile.

How do the natives of the far north subsist on a a diet that almost completely lacks plant matter. It's my understanding that their diet consists almost entirely of fish, seal and walrus blubber, caribou. Stuff like that. Certainly from novemer to april they must have no access to plant material. Talk about hardening of the arteries. Not 5% meat. 95% meat.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 10:49 AM

Inuit consume a diet of foods that are fished, hunted, and gathered locally. This may include walrus, Ringed Seal, Bearded Seal, beluga whale, caribou, polar bear, muskoxen, birds (including their eggs) and fish. While it is not possible to cultivate plants for food in the Arctic the Inuit have traditionally gathered those that are naturally available. Grasses, tubers, roots, stems, berries, fireweed and seaweed (kuanniq or edible seaweed) were collected and preserved depending on the season and the location.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7] According to Edmund Searles in his article "Food and the Making of Modern Inuit Identities," they consume this type of diet because a mostly meat diet is "effective in keeping the body warm, making the body strong, keeping the body fit, and even making that body healthy".[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 11:03 AM

Those same folk that eat blubber everything but veggies don,t seem to suffer from coronary problems:rolleyes:

For 3 years I have been on a no or very low fat diet,1 large RIB-EYE in 3 years I,ve toed the mark But boring you bet but for all my hard work I still have had 3 stents installed,working on my Full Metal Jacket:lol:

Would I have been better off eating a little blubber from time to time who knows,love fish and chicken but enough is enough I,m about ready for another RIB-EYE:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 12:51 PM

"Ancient healthy Inuit", is an Oxymarooon.

From a study...

"Inuit Greenlanders, who historically have had limited access to fruits and vegetables, have the worst longevity statistics in North America. Research from the past and present shows that they die on the average about 10 years younger and have a higher rate of cancer than the overall Canadian population".

From Common Sense...

Eating Moose, Caribou, Elk and deer (bison), is a lot different than eating corn fed, hormone laden beef. How much cholesterol does moose or elk have...hmmm? I don't even want to be in the same room as somebody who spouts that beef is better than elk -- I don't care how you rate it.

I am not anti-beef by any means. But the @#$%^&!! they sell wrapped up in the meat department has been doped, injected, and stuffed to the point where it little resembles real beef.

WHY does bacon HAVE TO contain a whopping dose of nitrates? We used to slaughter a hog and cure bacon and have it last for months. Why is there NO expiration date on a package of bacon?

When I sit down to eat, I prefer to dine on stuff that is not straight out of Mother Fletcher's Do It Yourself® chemical preservation laboratory. Or Professor Frankenstein's anti-bacteria first aid kit.

The FDA tests "food additives" and preservatives individually. When the day comes that they tests a large group of people with a witch's brew of twenty of these laboratory additives TOGETHER, then I will unstop my ears against loud protests that "It's Tested Safe!" Sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate are three common and seemingly safe elements, but mix 'em together and POW!

Eating healthy to me does not mean I must avoid meat. But using uncommon sense, I know that all meat is not the same, and food adulterated with hormones, tranquilizers, antibiotics, and other chemicals should come with a skull and crossbones warning. Fruits and vegetables unfortunately have to be treated to resist pests and disease, but in all the uproar, the hype, the utter B.S. issued in copious quantity by "both sides of the issue" I HAVE NEVER READ AN INTELLIGENT TREATISE ON HOW TO GO ABOUT WASHING FRUITS AND VEGETABLES TO REMOVE THE CONTAMINANTS!"

Why is this? Why did I have to freaking re-invent the wheel to learn that simple scrubbing of a mango with tepid water and a strong dishwashing liquid does not remove enough fungicide? It takes hot water. But you'll never read stuff like that because both sides of the aisle are more interested in arguing with each other than doing anything tangible about improving the safety of food.

The nonsense reminds me of a You-Tube cartoon

http://www.youtube.com/user/Birdboxstudio

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2012 at 04:52 PM
SHUT UP ?

Yeah, what are the odds of THAT happening ?

While I have great respect for Dogs in general and MY dogs in particular, I don't give a hoot what the "Bajadogs" thinks or says. Do what real dogs often do. Eat Scheisse.

Now, back to being Veganistic.

Or, is that Veganarial ?

Determined to give it a try, I started out the afternoon that way.

Boiled up some pasta and made a tomato sauce.

Yum.

OK, so I broke down and added some hamburger, pork sausage and diced chicken along with seasoning.

Washed it down with some 2-percent Udder stuff.

ONE step at a time.

RIGHT ?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2012 at 05:34 PM

It's all about odds, genetic's, fat, exercise. If you push the odds you loose, if you play the odds by following the rules your chance of winning are much greater. No one can do it for you. :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Pedalingforpeace
Junior Nomad

Mood: Ninja

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 05:42 PM

Aloha, we just rode the Baja and had no trouble being vegan, I have been vegan for 6 years now and it seems am destined to stay that way. After browsing through this thread, there is a lot of confusion and misinformation. Just sayin, 30 bananas a day!?!
Feel free to read up on our thoughts and say Aloha, I fell off the Bajanomad wagon trying to keep up with everything, now back in Ensenada making wine ajd Beer, getting ready to go back to our bikes and head to mainland and south... Aloha!
www.pedalingforpeace.com
www.facebook.com/pedalingforpeace

Site - Http://www.pedalingforpeace.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pedaling-for-Peace/1335290333...
Tweet - Pedaling4peace
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 06:31 PM

Discovered recently that vitamin B12, which is essential to well being, does not exist in an plant matter. I guess vegans are getting it from supplements. Won't go into what this implies about the importance of some meat to pre-20th century man.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2012 at 05:36 PM
The Upside to More Veganarials ?

In theory (free-market, that is), more Vegans should mean less demand and, therefore, lower prices for the available supply.

SO, within reason, those of us who devour Flesh with enthusiasm should applaud those who don't.

Of course, using the words "Reason" and "Vegan" in the same sentence is problematic, but that's another argument.

Most Vegans have a Moustached-Adolf attitude.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.