Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  15
Author: Subject: GRETCHEN SMITH...
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
yeah....she's been through a lot....but from what i see, she NEVER gets out of her pajamas; from her walk on the beach, through ALL of her 4 interviews...she's ALWAYS in her pajamas...so...what does that say about her mental state???...i dunno; just an open question....does she own a pair of jeans?
What does the fact that she was wearing pajamas have to do with anything? It certainly doesn't justify the way she was treated in custody. Do you question Hugh Hefner's mental state because he has an affinity for pajamas?

"The future ain't what it used to be"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 11:05 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

SF 10+

[Edited on 10-12-2013 by wessongroup]

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 11:32 AM

Nudity, is extraordinarily offensive to MOST Mexicanos. La gente have a totally different perspective of nudity than gringos or Europeans. Simply removing a tee shirt in public downtown can provoke an outraged "GET DRESSED" from a Mexican cop.

But again and again the main point, the one that provoked the cops is being shined-on here.

You don't scream at a Mexican cop - ever. And even worse than that is to scream obscenities at a cop. Then multiply this times ten million of you do it in public, then magnify to the cube of that if all that is done in front of fellow cops of military.

Is's versus ought-to-be's is perhaps the number one reason why gringos get into trouble in Mexico and or get disgusted with the culture and bail out. I see this all the time on the mainland and keep abreast of area forums for "Everything Must Go".

The nutso antics of some gringos keep Mexicans gossiping for months.

In the case of this individual a human rights challenge will serve to point out injustices of all people who are arrested. Americans, Mexicans, Mongolians. Human rights is human rights. But that's all that is going to happen IMMHO - an issue will be raised then drift away like a cloud of smoke.

THE MANTRA OF A PERSON WHO SHOULD NEVER EVER CROSS THE BORDER

"You can't do this to me! I am an AMERICAN!"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
zoesterone
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 11:43 AM

She is an active poster on Facebook.

Dogs are not our whole life, but make our lives whole.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zoesterone
She is an active poster on Facebook.

Very recently? Thanks.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 11:54 AM

and her last post was Oct.9th of a karaoke singer at a nightclub in Rosarito...

I hear the whales song
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
and her last post was Oct.9th of a karaoke singer at a nightclub in Rosarito...

Thanks. I guess she's a fast healer. Good for her.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Nudity, is extraordinarily offensive to MOST Mexicanos. La gente have a totally different perspective of nudity than gringos or Europeans. Simply removing a tee shirt in public downtown can provoke an outraged "GET DRESSED" from a Mexican cop.

But again and again the main point, the one that provoked the cops is being shined-on here.

You don't scream at a Mexican cop - ever. And even worse than that is to scream obscenities at a cop. Then multiply this times ten million of you do it in public, then magnify to the cube of that if all that is done in front of fellow cops of military.

Is's versus ought-to-be's is perhaps the number one reason why gringos get into trouble in Mexico and or get disgusted with the culture and bail out. I see this all the time on the mainland and keep abreast of area forums for "Everything Must Go".

The nutso antics of some gringos keep Mexicans gossiping for months.

In the case of this individual a human rights challenge will serve to point out injustices of all people who are arrested. Americans, Mexicans, Mongolians. Human rights is human rights. But that's all that is going to happen IMMHO - an issue will be raised then drift away like a cloud of smoke.

THE MANTRA OF A PERSON WHO SHOULD NEVER EVER CROSS THE BORDER

"You can't do this to me! I am an AMERICAN!"
Davd, The problem isn't that she was arrested, the cops had every right to arrest her, the way she was treated while detained is indefensible, Mexico is a signatory to the Vienna convention, an international treaty, which requires that foreigners be given the right to contact their embassy when arrested, the fact that she was denied that right is particularly chilling in a country where thousands disappear without a trace every year.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
Well it also seems to me some people enjoy tearing Mexico.
-------------------------------------------------------

[/quote Originally posted by monoloco: Joe, You are one sick puppy to dump on this woman after what she's been through.

Monoloco this woman has about as much credibility as you when you are posting stuff from some convicted criminal nut who thinks he is the Brad Pitt Character, Tyler Durden, from the movie The " Fight Club."

Where do I start talking about her inconsistencies, weird statements, and over-the-top behavior at the crime scene, and at the jail?

This woman also admits to be suffering from a "Bipolar Disorder" and also admits she was without her meds in Prison. And sometimes people suffering from a bipolar disorder can also suffer from a full blown psychosis, that is often triggered by a highly emotional experience as this woman experienced.

Off the bat in the YouTube video, if you're trained like JoeJustJoe, and pay attention to the details like me, you'll know something is not right with this woman.

She is walking with her dogs, that turn out later to be not her dogs at all. She is dressed inappropriately, which suggests she stays in her pajamas 24 hours, and may be in a depressed mood. She sees the Mexican sufer suspect, and claims he is well dressed, muscular, and a weight lifter. She even claims to know how the shooter feels, he is afraid, excited, and happy all at the same time. The alleged shooter was now well dressed, or muscular, he was out of shape, and fat. Could it be the feelings the woman had for the alleged shooter, were her own bipolar feelings of being afraid, excited, and happy all at the same time?

How about those calls to her family that she asked to make? Well that's another problem, because it looks like she has no family in Rosarito with her. So who did she want to call? How do we know she wasn't granted a right to make a phone call? Why couldn't she borrow a phone from the tranny, and the two prostitutes who were in jail with her, and who were telling this American woman that the jail guards wanted to rape her?

What about the story about the Mexican Judge and cops not speaking English, and her demanding a translator because she couldn't speak Spanish, or her Spanish was very poor. How come in her other writings she says she speaks Spanish, French, and Arabic enough to get her in trouble? That sounds like passable foreign language ability to me, especially if you already know others languages, because it's easier to learn a foreign language when you already speak 2 or 3 other languages.

I'm sorry, but if you want to believe this self admitted bipolar woman, that's up to you, but I have a lot of trouble believing most of what she says, and who fights and screams at police officers, even at jail where you couldn't possibly win? The only ones I see fighting like that against cops, are the crazy ones!

Bipolar disorder, also known as bipolar affective disorder, manic-depressive disorder, or manic depression, is a mental illness classified by psychiatry as a mood disorder. Individuals with bipolar disorder experience episodes of an elevated or agitated mood known as mania (or hypomania, depending on the severity) alternating with episodes of depression.

Mania can occur with different levels of severity. At milder levels of mania, or "hypomania", individuals appear energetic, excitable, and may be highly productive. As mania becomes more severe, individuals begin to behave erratically and impulsively, often making poor decisions due to unrealistic ideas about the future, and may have great difficulty with sleep. At the most severe level, individuals can experience very distorted beliefs about the world known as psychosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 01:07 PM

Perhaps you should comb through her facebook to get a glimpse of this woman and see who she REALLY is, she is a beautiful person on the inside, compassionate, brutally honest, service-oriented, giving, community-minded, works with the poor, active in her community and is well respected among her friends and colleagues in Rosarito and around the world, and is a successful artist.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:

[/quote Originally posted by monoloco: Joe, You are one sick puppy to dump on this woman after what she's been through.

Monoloco this woman has about as much credibility as you when you are posting stuff from some convicted criminal nut who thinks he is the Brad Pitt Character, Tyler Durden, from the movie The " Fight Club."

Where do I start talking about her inconsistencies, weird statements, and over-the-top behavior at the crime scene, and at the jail?

This woman also admits to be suffering from a "Bipolar Disorder" and also admits she was without her meds in Prison. And sometimes people suffering from a bipolar disorder can also suffer from a full blown psychosis, that is often triggered by a highly emotional experience as this woman experienced.

Off the bat in the YouTube video, if you're trained like JoeJustJoe, and pay attention to the details like me, you'll know something is not right with this woman.

She is walking with her dogs, that turn out later to be not her dogs at all. She is dressed inappropriately, which suggests she stays in her pajamas 24 hours, and may be in a depressed mood. She sees the Mexican sufer suspect, and claims he is well dressed, muscular, and a weight lifter. She even claims to know how the shooter feels, he is afraid, excited, and happy all at the same time. The alleged shooter was now well dressed, or muscular, he was out of shape, and fat. Could it be the feelings the woman had for the alleged shooter, were her own bipolar feelings of being afraid, excited, and happy all at the same time?

How about those calls to her family that she asked to make? Well that's another problem, because it looks like she has no family in Rosarito with her. So who did she want to call? How do we know she wasn't granted a right to make a phone call? Why couldn't she borrow a phone from the tranny, and the two prostitutes who were in jail with her, and who were telling this American woman that the jail guards wanted to rape her?

What about the story about the Mexican Judge and cops not speaking English, and her demanding a translator because she couldn't speak Spanish, or her Spanish was very poor. How come in her other writings she says she speaks Spanish, French, and Arabic enough to get her in trouble? That sounds like passable foreign language ability to me, especially if you already know others languages, because it's easier to learn a foreign language when you already speak 2 or 3 other languages.

I'm sorry, but if you want to believe this self admitted bipolar woman, that's up to you, but I have a lot of trouble believing most of what she says, and who fights and screams at police officers, even at jail where you couldn't possibly win? The only ones I see fighting like that against cops, are the crazy ones!
It's obvious from her video that she speaks very little Spanish, and it seems pretty obvious that she wasn't allowed to contact her consular authority. If this would have happened to a Mexican in the US, you would be ranting and raving about how she was abused by racist pigs, so why are you defending the actions of the Rosarito police? If she was having a psychotic episode as you suggest, the last thing they should have done is placed her in a jail cell, incommunicado for 72 hours, with no food or water.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
Perhaps you should comb through her facebook to get a glimpse of this woman and see who she REALLY is, she is a beautiful person on the inside, compassionate, brutally honest, service-oriented, giving, community-minded, works with the poor, active in her community and is well respected among her friends and colleagues in Rosarito and around the world, and is a successful artist.

BajaLuna, this is according to who?

You should read my FaceBook page and see what I say about myself. I bet you'll believe everything I write about myself too.

But it does bring up another point, that if she does all this, and runs art clinics on the beach. How does she communicate with the Spanish speaking Mexicans, if she herself doesn't speak any Spanish, or speaks very poor Spanish?
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 01:25 PM

I'd probably be pretty distraught too and possibly depressed and definitely taking some rightfully so self-healing time in my pajamas too...if I had just saw a man get shot, tried to get help to no avail, watch him die, and spent many days in a Mexican jail. GEEZ cut her some slack!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
BajaLuna, this is according to who?

You should read my FaceBook page and see what I say about myself. I bet you'll believe everything I write about myself too.

Are you saying we shouldn't believe her because you lie about yourself on your Facebook page?

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 02:00 PM

I don't wear pajamas! :o:biggrin:

Nevertheless, I would do what this woman did however I were dressed! I commend her for her action and compassion. I would also try to get the police to move their cars which were impeding the ambulance's access.

But...I have been around Mexico enough to know 'la onda' (what the custom is). You never yell at anyone; clerks, civil servants and especially cops. That will get you arrested for sure. There are circumstances where our emotions will override our good sense. This was apparently one of them.

Her attire has no bearing on her willingness to try and save that poor man's life. Those of you who are judging her based on her pajamas are just trying to string together a profile in order to invalidate her credibility. Hey, if that's your game you are missing the point and wasting our time.

She acted instinctively and compassionately. Her civil rights should have been honored though, after her arrest. :fire:

Good on you, Gretchen!!!:saint: And thank you for helping Gary's family by reporting your conversation with a man whom you believe to have been him.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 02:04 PM

The cops are probably feeling a lot of heat right now. About her claim that they prevented her from contacting a consulate.

But this is like the argument...

Get rid of the gasoline in your garage

vs.

I have a perfect right to store gasoline in my garage. Anyway I have lots and lots of fire extinguishers.

The way Mexico USED to be was if you really badly insulted a cop the least you you expect was immediate deportation. If you did a good enough job, four cops would hold you down and they would add a bunch of chili to a bottle of Tehuacan, shake the bottle with their thumb over the opening then squirt it up your nose.

Innocent or not, if you provoke a US customs inspector bad enough the agent with the fattest fingers gets to give you a body cavity search. Who ya gonna call? Then they can mark you down as "being fed" in your cell. How ya gonna prove otherwise?

Colin Powell said it best "You don't go around stepping on Superman's cape".

Obviously this woman has issues dealing with reality - not a good trait to have south of the border.

Remember when the tyrannosaur was chasing the Jeep and Ian Malcolm remarked "I wonder if they are going to make this, part of the ride?"

I've run into folks like that woman all over Mexico. They're mixed in with retired "CIA agents, Vietnam era helicopter door gunners", Billionaires, "disguised to look like regular people", and "Olympic hopefuls". I gave up going to parties and get togethers: When I tell folks what I am not, I get looks that wordlessly say: Are you freakin' nuts?" I guess I gotta give thought to becoming "Frank Sinatra's ex bodyguard" or something.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Quote:

It's obvious from her video that she speaks very little Spanish, and it seems pretty obvious that she wasn't allowed to contact her consular authority. If this would have happened to a Mexican in the US, you would be ranting and raving about how she was abused by racist pigs, so why are you defending the actions of the Rosarito police? If she was having a psychotic episode as you suggest, the last thing they should have done is placed her in a jail cell, incommunicado for 72 hours, with no food or water.

What's obvious to at least me, is that she is faking not knowing how to speak Spanish, she still pops out Spanish sentences like somebody that has a passable understanding of Spanish, because if you don't truly don't speak a language, you don't even try. It's comical for her to try to claim that Judge, and Rosarito beach do not speak English, or refused to speak Spanish to her.

Yeah, I often speak out against police abuse, and I'm often stopped by the police for DWB( for driving while brown) because I like to drive my oldest son's car that he had in high school, and that I never sold. But I would never dream of acting aggressive towards a cop, and get in their face, and if I were arrested, nor would I put up a fight where it would take the cops 40 minutes to lock me up. Only a crazy person, would attempt to do that. Next time watch one of those prison cable shows, and they usually have somebody going nuts like this woman in prison.

Well, we don't know if this woman wasn't granted her call to the American consular authority as you say, but you and her could be right. That's something granted for serious alleged crimes from what I have read, and we don't know the exact charges her. She also down plays her taking to a judge, because it sure seems like she talked to at least two judges while in prison, and the last judge told her not to fight anymore. If this woman is going crazy nuts in prison, I don't see either American or Mexicans cops going to grant her Constitutional rights while she is in that state of being paranoid and combative.

The fact is both Mexico and the USA don't know how to treat people they arrest with mental illnesses very well, and they treat them as common criminals, and the more you act up in prison, the worse they seem to treat you.

The American consular doesn't do much for a person arrested in Mexico, other than making sure you're treated well, and they give you a list of Mexican lawyers you might want to call.

Yeah, good point about undocumented Mexican Aliens jailed in the USA, especially in Texas. The police in the USA don't always advise their Mexican criminal suspects they have in custody of their rights to speak to the Mexican consular, nor that the Mexican suspects have to talk to the police, admit anything, sign anything in English,or that they have a right to a Spanish interpreter. There is even a well know case in Texas where Texas gave a Mexican suspect the death penalty, and actually killed him, and never let him know about his Mexican consular rights. I think this case went to the Supreme court, but the cruel state of Texas killed the Mexican national anyway while giving a finger to the Mexican's Geneva rights.

Instead of making Youtube videos, this women should file an official complaint but I doubt her complaint will really get anywhere, just like when Mexicans complain about their treatment by American prison guards, and treatment while in the American prisons.

[Edited on 10-12-2013 by JoeJustJoe]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
The cops are probably feeling a lot of heat right now. About her claim that they prevented her from contacting a consulate.

But this is like the argument...

Get rid of the gasoline in your garage

vs.

I have a perfect right to store gasoline in my garage. Anyway I have lots and lots of fire extinguishers.

The way Mexico USED to be was if you really badly insulted a cop the least you you expect was immediate deportation. If you did a good enough job, four cops would hold you down and they would add a bunch of chili to a bottle of Tehuacan, shake the bottle with their thumb over the opening then squirt it up your nose.

Innocent or not, if you provoke a US customs inspector bad enough the agent with the fattest fingers gets to give you a body cavity search. Who ya gonna call? Then they can mark you down as "being fed" in your cell. How ya gonna prove otherwise?

Colin Powell said it best "You don't go around stepping on Superman's cape".

Obviously this woman has issues dealing with reality - not a good trait to have south of the border.

Remember when the tyrannosaur was chasing the Jeep and Ian Malcolm remarked "I wonder if they are going to make this, part of the ride?"

I've run into folks like that woman all over Mexico. They're mixed in with retired "CIA agents, Vietnam era helicopter door gunners", Billionaires, "disguised to look like regular people", and "Olympic hopefuls". I gave up going to parties and get togethers: When I tell folks what I am not, I get looks that wordlessly say: Are you freakin' nuts?" I guess I gotta give thought to becoming "Frank Sinatra's ex bodyguard" or something.
I'm sure this wasn't the first time in their career that they encountered a hysterical woman at a murder scene, seems to me like it would be fairly common with a murder rate as high as Rosarito. They should learn to deal with it better, maybe they could use a little sensitivity training.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
What's obvious to at least me, is that she is faking not knowing how to speak Spanish, she still pops out Spanish sentences like somebody that has a passable understanding of Spanish, because if you don't truly don't speak a language, you don't even try. It's comical for her to try to claim that Judge, and Rosarito beach do not speak English, or refused to speak Spanish to her.

It's pretty obvious to me that she knows just enough Spanish to get her in trouble. Right out of the gate she keeps calling the victim a bombardier, anyone who has been in a Spanish speaking country for any length of time would know that a fireman is a bombero.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
I'd probably be pretty distraught too and possibly depressed and definitely taking some rightfully so self-healing time in my pajamas too...if I had just saw a man get shot, tried to get help to no avail, watch him die, and spent many days in a Mexican jail. GEEZ cut her some slack!

Can I get an AMEN! :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.