Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  14
Author: Subject: Close call today on Highway 1 with bicyclists
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 04:15 PM
Physics makes some parts of Hwy. 1 unsafe for bikes, that's all.

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover
education is the answer
all can use the road safely when drivers are educated
pass a bicycle the same way you pass a car
4 wheels over the center line
save a life HIT THE BREAKS

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Umm....again why does a motorhome have more right to the road than a bicycle...they are both legally allowed to use the road? If we are concerned with safety then maybe we should outlaw over-sized vehicles on Hwy 1.:?:

The highway was built to benefit the people of the peninsula of Baja California... If motorhomes and long distance bicycles were the only two groups you want to mention (but in reality all other automobiles, trucks, and busses should be included), which one 'contributes' more to the wealth of the peninsula, and benefits the most people? This is a no brainer for most...

Yet, in the logic of economic destruction you follow, you would ban the motorized vehicles in favor of the few touring bike riders, tripping down the peninsula.... instead of providing passage to all by requesting the bikes to be transported over the dangerous middle section on a truck or bus... thus providing some income to truck or bus operators.
:light:

If you ever drove south of San Quintin Km. 0 (before El Rosario), then you would know what is the danger. All of us have no problem passing bikes or waiting to pass them.

The problem is we are driving at a safe speed in a mountain/ hilly section, and round a curve to find bikes in our lane and a bus coming towards us in the other.

Sure we will slam on the brakes, but in a split second move do we choose to die from a head on if there isn't enough distance from the bikes to stop by swerving into the path of a semi or bus or any car? Bikes loose, and so do we for hurting others in a totally preventable situation...

Wait for the original 19' wide 1973 Hwy. 1 to get the paved, bike lane wide shoulder. They have been working on it for a few years now, including a few miles out of El Rosario.

No room for bikes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 04:45 PM

As a cop, I ran into many very close calls when I easily could have shot someone, but because of extreme measures taken and a BIG wish to avoid bloodshed, and a LOT of luck, I never shot anybody during my entire career (thank Zeus).

-----but the danger was there, always------it is just fate that nothing horrible and tragic never happened in my case.

The stress these bikers cause is significant, and for what??? a few people "having fun". I just don't get it how a few can do this to others, and somehow justify it in their minds..

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 05:21 PM

Quote:

No room for bikes:

pics are of straight sections, should be no problem to wait a moment and pass when safe - pretty easy to see what's ahead on straight sections like in your picture.

re curvy roads,... slow down! if you dont have time to slow, then you were going too fast!

[Edited on 1-16-2014 by mtgoat666]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 05:39 PM

Never seen a bicycle accident in Baja. Seen lots of vehicle accidents. But there are way more vehicles than bikes on the road.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Never seen a bicycle accident in Baja. Seen lots of vehicle accidents. But there are way more vehicles than bikes on the road.

Could it be because the vehicles hit head-on and the bike rides on down the road? A wrecked bike is something you can pick up and throw into a truck, so its wreckage won't be there long.

Let's hope the tiny % of touring Hwy. 1 bikes never make contact with anything powered by gasoline or diesel oil!:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Could it be because the vehicles hit head-on and the bike rides on down the road?

I don't think a biker who just heard 2 vehicles going head on or crashing would keep on riding. =)
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 07:39 PM

I've driven to at least Bahia de Los Angeles and often to Mulege, La Paz and beyond at least 2 times a year for the last 20 years. Like Pomp, I have seen a lot of nasty stuff. Never has a bicycle been involved.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 09:49 PM

Oh, soulpatch, you reminded me of a close call that scared the carp out of me. It was a Baja 1000 chase vehicle with trailer in tow that almost threw me and my family in to the cacti as I avoided it's trailer which took up a huge portion of my lane as it blew by way, way too fast around a curve as I was heading south past El Rosario.

It seems to me those who are Baja1000 fans are the same folks who hate bicyclists. If safety is your concern...

Who is selfish?
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 12:28 PM
Biker's

Aside from the Stupid Political slant that D.K. has to slip into almost every post the idea of Portage for Bicycles is the most intelligent thing That he has came up with. Maybe a new business opportunity for some enterprising individual.:light::light:
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 01:57 PM

The only real way to resolve the bicycle injury question is to inquire of the Segro Social hospitals in Colonia Guerrero, Sta Rosalia Cd Constitucion, La Paz, and San Lucas.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Free enterprise, personal responsibility, and more freedom (less government) is not stupid.

Unless of course you like clean drinking water:lol:

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 02:47 PM

Yeah! That'll Learn 'Em

California Electricity DeRegulation. Proved beyond the shadow of a doubt what totally free enterprise is all about...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Free enterprise, personal responsibility, and more freedom (less government) is not stupid.

rules and laws are what keeps public peace and provides for mostly stable economic system.

you should show some personal responsibility: slow down and share the road! it's the responsible thing to do

only people on this thread proposing new rules (less freedom) are the antibike nuts dreaming of banning bikes :lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 03:48 PM

Slowing down has no protection for a bike in your lane on a blind curve... only a paved shoulder and the bikes off the auto lanes are a safe way to travel. However, maybe there are so few bikes and none causing accidents, this is pointless discussion. We only know that a lot of these Euro tourists and others seem unaware that there is NO ROOM on much of Hwy. 1 for bikes to be safe.. and SPEEDING has 0 to do with it.

Oh, and the clean water comment above, what a joke that all you can do is repeat the lib sound bites. Nobody on the right wants dirty water, starving people, or any of the other sound bites... we just know BIG government doesn't provide them... never has. There are more poor people because of government spending and regulations then people who are no longer poor. It is just an excuse to suck away income and hire more government workers... to the demise of America.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 04:55 PM

Here it comes......any moment now.......

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 05:04 PM

[Slowing down has no protection for a bike in your lane on a blind curve...*

your lane?
*This could be the root of the problem*

To whom does the lane belong
you need to learn the answer
To whom does the lane belong

When you see a bike
HIT THE BREAKS
save a life

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 05:07 PM

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 05:09 PM

peace, love and fish tacos (and an end to the war on bikes)
dont worry, be happy
slow down and share the road and smile!

[Edited on 1-20-2014 by BajaNomad]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 05:13 PM

[Edited on 1-20-2014 by BajaNomad]
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 05:14 PM

Easy solution to widening the road. On even days, only northbound traffic allowed. Southbound goes on alternate days.

:rolleyes:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.