Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  69    71    73  ..  118
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2023 at 11:50 AM

The issue with swamp coolers is humidity and also the need to have relatively clean excessive water that you are able to dispose of in the evaporation membrane. I think the limited water supply is the major issue in Baja.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-23-2023 at 02:04 PM

Last year the float valve went out, so for a few days I had to fill the base pan from a garden hose. It didn't take much, probably less than five gallons running all day.

I am fortunate to live in an area with the softest water I have ever seen in a municipality. Mineral deposits are not a problem.

[Edited on 7-24-2023 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-23-2023 at 07:03 PM

We are all different, and some (like me) like the dry-heat of the Desert. I do NOT like humidity, period, and El Centro was pretty humid sometimes, I admit. My first 30 years of life were spent in Coronado, CA within walking distance of the beach. Most of the year I was cold and clammy, but most other's love the Temps. in the San Diego area (lots of 50's. 60's, and low 70's). I never got warm in winter in Coronado and reveled in the "Santa Ana's" that occasionally prevailed for a few days in Coronado. Thankfully, my wife (from Palo Alto) is the same as me. We love the dry Deserts!!!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-23-2023 at 11:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
We are all different, and some (like me) like the dry-heat of the Desert. I do NOT like humidity, period, and El Centro was pretty humid sometimes, I admit. My first 30 years of life were spent in Coronado, CA within walking distance of the beach. Most of the year I was cold and clammy, but most other's love the Temps. in the San Diego area (lots of 50's. 60's, and low 70's). I never got warm in winter in Coronado and reveled in the "Santa Ana's" that occasionally prevailed for a few days in Coronado. Thankfully, my wife (from Palo Alto) is the same as me. We love the dry Deserts!!!

Life is too short to waste time in the desert in summer. flock that!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 12:50 AM

"Waste time in the desert" ???
What kind of Nomad are you?

I absolutely love the desert and have since I was a kid... begging my parents to go to Ocotillo and search for fossils and oyster shells in the Yuha Desert. They had recently got a Jeep and when not going to Baja, some weekends were spent driving the trails near Ocotillo and Plaster City. Great memories!

Baja Deserts are the best...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 05:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
"Waste time in the desert" ???
What kind of Nomad are you?

I absolutely love the desert and have since I was a kid... begging my parents to go to Ocotillo and search for fossils and oyster shells in the Yuha Desert. They had recently got a Jeep and when not going to Baja, some weekends were spent driving the trails near Ocotillo and Plaster City. Great

You have neither common sense nor reading skills,… I said “in summer”

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Records being set.

Never trust CNN. It has become a biased rag, not real news.

It's very sad, because I grew up on CNN and it was my go to news source. They took a wrong turn about 8-10 years ago and now I don't trust them to tell the entire truth on anything.

It was a BBC article.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Destroying things takes a fraction of the time it takes to build them. The amount of time needed to create something is unrelated to the time it takes to destroy it.

So true. Look at San Francisco --
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 04:19 PM

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2023 at 04:33 PM

This is what 3°C of global warming looks like

https://www.economist.com/films/2021/10/30/this-is-what-3deg...

https://youtu.be/uynhvHZUOOo

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2023 at 07:57 PM

A crucial system of ocean currents is heading for a collapse that ‘would affect every person on the planet’

A new study published Tuesday in the journal Nature, found that the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Current – of which the Gulf Stream is a part – could collapse around the middle of the century, or even as early as 2025.

2025! Even you elderly might be around to see this event!

It has happened before. More than 12,000 years ago, rapid glacier melt caused the AMOC to shut down, leading to huge Northern Hemisphere temperature fluctuations of 10 to 15 degrees Celsius (18 to 27 Fahrenheit) within a decade.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/25/world/gulf-stream-atlantic-cu...

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-39810-w

[Edited on 7-26-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2023 at 08:33 PM

The ocean water temp off the southern tip of Florida is currently over 100F.
lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2023 at 04:00 AM

I love all of the new predictions of catastrophe when absolutely -0- prior predictions have come true so far.

Yes nodding bobbleheads
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2023 at 05:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lewmt  
I love all of the new predictions of catastrophe when absolutely -0- prior predictions have come true so far.

You must be asleep. The climate has already changed and sea level has risen, consistent with predictions. Have you noticed that this year summer heat waves are setting records world-wide?
Wake up!

Woke!

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-26-2023 at 07:06 AM

Read the article not the headline.

“ The water temperatures recorded Sunday and Monday would challenge the record for hottest sea surface temperature in the world. While official world water temperature records aren't kept, a 99.7 degree temperature recorded in Kuwait Bay is considered the world record at this time. Due to factors like proximity to land and the silty nature of the water, the temperatures recorded off Florida would have to go through an extensive verification process.”

Goat,

You're about 12K years late coming to the party. Sea level has risen about 120 meters since the end of the ice age. It’s going to rise 10-20 M more no mater what.

[Edited on 7-26-2023 by RFClark]
lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2023 at 09:18 AM

The glaciers in Glacier Park were supposed to be gone by now...still there. Catastrophic hurricanes like Catrina were supposed to be greater in number & more intense... hasn't happened - there have been hurricanes but no where near the level predicted (as there always has been).

I work on a small atoll with a maximum elevation of 30'. It should be mostly under water based on sea level rise predictions... it's just fine & the only changes there are cycles of erosion & building because the whole complex is dynamic and forever changing. In fact 1 of the highest elevations has occurred in the last 2 years from coral rubble being pushed onto a portion of the atoll.

-0- predictions have come true
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2023 at 10:25 AM

The glaciers in Glacier Park were supposed to be gone by now...still there.

Well, there are a few scraps of glaciers hanging on,…
But mostly gone!

Woke!

lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2023 at 10:51 AM

I climbed up & snowboarded down Jackson Glacier in 2007, 2008, & again just a few days ago. Timing was within 10 days of the same date in each of those years. The best overall coverage was this year.

Blackfoot Glacier was also better this year although I didn't actually climb it but it's entirely visible from Jackson Glacier.
[Edited on 7-26-2023 by lewmt]

[Edited on 7-26-2023 by lewmt]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2023 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Sea level has risen about 120 meters since the end of the ice age. It’s going to rise 10-20 M more no mater what.

[Edited on 7-26-2023 by RFClark]

What part of the rate of sea level change and the rate of temperature change being important eludes you? "Since the end of the ice age" is not relevant to the quick and escalating rate of change, due to man-made climate change, except as a comparison.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2023 at 04:57 PM

The glaciers in Glacier Park were supposed to be gone by now...still there. Catastrophic hurricanes like Catrina were supposed to be greater in number & more intense... hasn't happened - there have been hurricanes but no where near the level predicted (as there always has been).

I work on a small atoll with a maximum elevation of 30'. It should be mostly under water based on sea level rise predictions... it's just fine & the only changes there are cycles of erosion & building because the whole complex is dynamic and forever changing. In fact 1 of the highest elevations has occurred in the last 2 years from coral rubble being pushed onto a portion of the atoll.

-0- predictions have come true

dude when im not on the atoll im skating the glacier bro....

Pages:  1  ..  69    71    73  ..  118

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.