BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8  
Author: Subject: Request for current reports of Mordida in Ciudad Constitution
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
I wonder what's happening in CC? Awfully quiet these days.

I drove through Constitucion 2 weeks ago, right down the center lanes. Saw lots of cops, both local and Federales. Obeyed all the rules. No one bothered us.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Where is Mesico?

[Edited on 7-9-2010 by fishabductor]

That's where Mescins live.:lol:

[Edited on 9-6-2010 by Marc]
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 07:18 AM

Good one!! Wonder if the problem has slowed or stopped? We at least have a clear way to deal with this problem if it occurs. Thanks for the posts and for re-upping this thread.

Iflyfish
Rosemaria

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 07:41 AM

i wonder if the missing couple, mat and melissa, ran into this - thus being broke in CC and calling home finally
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 08:25 AM

I think we all are, fish. But it is reasonable to assume that their families may still be reading the board and perhaps we should withhold our conjectures and judgments, some of which can get pretty creative, out of sensitivity to their feelings.

Just a thought.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 09:39 AM

I drove through last Friday in a car that just screamed "TOURIST" at the top of its lungs and had no problem. I took the side lane and observed the speed limit which, of course, likely gets one noticed since we seemed to be the only ones who respected the limit.

Perhaps the message is getting through?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 12:37 PM

Bajatripper, just curious, was it a Volvo or a late model 300 series BMW? Also, in the Big OC, Mexican is pronounced "Metsikkin".
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 12:40 PM

What we have learned from this experiment in Nomad Social Networking is the following:

We are an excellent source of information and support to each other and there is power in Social Networking using the internet.

If you are stopped by a policeman in CC and they try to extort money from you , this approach that has been used successfully to stop this crime.

Come to a complete stop at ALL intersections, look both ways to make sure no pedestrians in cross walks. Follow the 18 mph speed limit. If stopped do the following:
1. stay calm, take your time
2. ask for name and badge number, write these down, do not surrender your drivers license
3. let cop know you are calling Sr. Villalejos, Sub-director de Policia, at 613-100-1910
4. insist that you go to the station NOW and deal with the fine
5. Since the police office is reportedly closed on Sunday, travel thru Ciudad Constitution on M-Sat.
6. remain calm, confident and clear. Follow thru.
7. Drive in the right hand lane and look local, don't make eye contact with a cop.
8. Let every one you know that there is a serious problem with police extortion on the ONLY highway that connects Baja N with Baja S and that each day the city of Ciudad Constitution loses thousands of dollars in lost revenue because of this.

Keep posting your experiences so we all can benefit from your experience.

Iflyfish
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Follow the 18 mph speed limit.

When I drove through there 2 weeks ago, the center lanes were posted at 40kph or about 25mph. :?:

[Edited on 9-6-2010 by oxxo]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
When I drove through there 2 weeks ago, the center lanes were posted at 30kph or about 25mph. :?:

More [or less] like 18 mph.
I'm seeing a weak link in our self-rightousness. :lol:
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 02:06 PM

Lo siento, I meant 40kph. Gracias for pointing out my error.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 02:18 PM

oxxo,

There has been discussion of this issue and I can well understand your confusion:?:

This speed was recommended as a precaution. I think it was Skeet who said it was 18mph, may be wrong, but never heard of anyone being stopped for driving under the limit in Ciudad Constitution :light:

Iflyfish
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Bajatripper, just curious, was it a Volvo or a late model 300 series BMW? Also, in the Big OC, Mexican is pronounced "Metsikkin".

Mitchman
No, that hardware is much too rich for my blood. My toys of choice are things I picked up years ago, when they were still cheap. In this case, it was a bright red 1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto spider, probably the only one in Baja. It not only screamed "tourist," but, considering how hard parts are to come by, I think the "stupid" was implied. What more inviting target for the seekers of our mordidas in that fabled destination?
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 12:41 PM

i drove through last week, once going north, then once coming back south a few days later in a truck piled high with boards and assorted camping equipment. I saw lots of the white policia trucks and was certain on the southbound leg they were going to pull us over as they were tailing us for a long while down the center lane, but they didnt pull us over. Phew! Had a really nice meal at the restaurant towards the south end of town whose name I cannot recollect but translates to "Goofy", the disney character.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 12:44 PM

Excellent, maybe time to start spending some time and money in Ciudad Constitution.

Keep the reports coming.

Iflyfish
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 08:08 AM

We drove through and around CC last wed sept 1 also went to san carlos and back through cc again and had no problems at all with the policia. I was driving an alamo rental car. I drove through through the center road and stopped at all the signs and paid attention to the signals. My husband wasn't wearing his seat belt but he does not know about this thread either. We stopped to shop and eat in a couple of restaurants and we had no problems, in fact it was a pleasure. I appreciate the people of constitucion they are hard workers and good businesspersons and extremely friendly. the shops and restaurants we went into were clean, a nice difference from what we're used to in Loreto. I know since the town if officially broke it is difficult for a lot of people but its not their fault. We're going back through in a couple of weeks and plan to stimulate their economy again.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 08:19 AM

Excellent!! So glad to hear this. It is time to spend some cash in Ciudad Constitution!!

Thanks for the post.

Iflyfish
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Excellent!! So glad to hear this. It is time to spend some cash in Ciudad Constitution!!

Thanks for the post.

Iflyfish
I certainly plan to and when I do, I plan to let the store and restaurant owners know why I refused to stop before and thank them for getting their policia under control so I can continue to stop in the future,

In Memory of E-57
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 11:38 AM

I have sent a link to this site to a prominant business in Ciudad Constitution.

For behavior to continue it needs to be reinforced. It is an excellent idea to contact those who you have communicated with about police extortion in Ciudad Constitution and let them know you see a change and plan to now spend money in their town.

The more people we can send this message to the more likely this change will continue. Great idea to talk long and loud about this brave community and its confrontation of corruption. Good idea to spend money.

The extortion may continue, it is harder to prove the absence of something than to prove its existance. It will, regardless of the circumstances, do us all good to keep this issue front and center with the local businesses. Mentioning the issue keeps it alive in peoples minds.

Thank you Alan!

Iflyfishhopefully
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 11:55 AM

Too early for a reprieve.
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.