Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  97    99    101  ..  120
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 12-31-2023 at 12:17 PM
The rise of ‘virtue bullies’: How self-righteous shaming conquered the Internet

Several unconscious behaviours going on in the brain can convince us we are being good, even when we’re not.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/comment/attacking-others-moral-...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 11:37 AM

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 11:42 AM

Half pint,
Thanks for providing the quotes, should we share some of your quotes?
:?:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 11:49 AM

Hard time with reading comprehension, JZ? Phasing out fossil fuels within a certain period of time doesn't mean that if that is done, the planet will instantly recover- it takes years for systems to recover once the source of a problem is eliminated. It doesn't mean that if emissions aren't reduced in 5 years, human life will be extinct in 5 years. Just like doing things to mitigate a species extinction doesn't mean that species will suddenly go from 100 remaining individuals to thousands.
Too bad some people need simple concepts explained to them as if they were 5 years old.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 12:52 PM

Not only will phasing out fossil fuels (and inorganic Methane) not reverse the currently increasing temperatures, it has in the short term caused accelerating temperature increases. This “overrun” is a result of the cleaner air allowing even more solar energy into the system not “system inertia”!

Even a blind squirrel or goat can see the upward knee in temperatures concurrent with the ‘90s clean air legislation implementation. Without a coherent plan to decrease solar input and or CO2 reduction things will only continue to get worse. Remember we have been in a natural warming episode for thousands of years and hundreds of feet (not inches!) of sea level rise.

Without our positive intervention the rise in sea level will continue unabated until the combination of natural factors that initiated the process reverse naturally. (the axis precession and orbital forcing of the earth) None of which are within our ability to control.

Look for a sea level rise of 20 meters or so more unless we get our act together and do something proactive now!

For those inclined to selectively edit things this is not a call to do nothing. It is a warning that we need to do more or face the consequences!

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 01:18 PM

The duck curve presents two challenges related to increasing solar energy adoption. The first challenge is grid stress. The extreme swing in demand for electricity from conventional power plants from midday to late evenings, when energy demand is still high but solar generation has dropped off, means that conventional power plants (such as natural gas-fired plants) must quickly ramp up electricity production to meet consumer demand. That rapid ramp up makes it more difficult for grid operators to match grid supply (the power they are generating) with grid demand in real time. In addition, if more solar power is produced than the grid can use, operators might have to curtail solar power to prevent overgeneration.
The other challenge is economic. The dynamics of the duck curve can challenge the traditional economics of dispatchable power plants because the factors contributing to the curve reduce the amount of time a conventional power plant operates, which results in reduced energy revenues. If the reduced revenues make the plants uneconomical to maintain, the plants may retire without a dispatchable replacement. Less dispatchable electricity makes it harder for grid managers to balance electricity supply and demand in a system with wide swings in net demand.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61103

IMG_4873.jpeg - 215kB
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 04:37 PM

Phasing things out because they have been found to be dangerous isn't the same thing as "banning". Just like in the old days, cars without seat belts weren't banned, but new cars had to have them.
But then you can't really make a point without misrepresenting things, can you?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 05:03 PM

Half pint,
Dont get your panties in a bunch! Gas stoves are not banned. Govt is wisely incentivizing switch to electric. Electric is better for public health, better for the country. If you want gas, go ahead and keep your gas. Just stop your silly whining that we all find so ridiculous and annoying.

P.s. induction is great. You got to be stupid to buy a replacement gas unit when your gas unit dies.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 07:37 PM

Again, if you are going to be a leader, lead. Don't say one thing and do another.

I could post 500 examples of these people doing the exact opposite of what they preach.

Remember, 97% of scientists' reports make the people funding the reports happy. :light:

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 10:47 PM

OSG,

You have absolutely no idea what I did in the past.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2024 at 11:32 PM

:bounce:👍👍
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 05:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
OSG,

Thanks for your service. Please share.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 07:49 AM

OSG,

Please tell us about your military service

Woke!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 07:57 AM

Likely top secret,
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 12:20 PM

Here’s my award for civilian service to the US Navy. Based on prior experience the Navy allowed me to disable and restore an Arleigh Burke Destroyer for use as described in the Group award below.

You are welcome to review the Credits for this project. I was a Department Head and the person specifically entrusted to perform the work by the Navy. It’s my understanding that as of that date I was the only person ever so entrusted by the Navy.

“The Navy Distinguished Public Service Award, established in 1951, is an award presented by the U.S. Secretary of the Navy to civilians for specific courageous or heroic acts or exceptionally outstanding service of substantial and long-term benefit to the Navy, Marine Corps, or Department of the Navy as a whole. Originally a certificate with a lapel pin, the medal was first presented in July 1951.[1] It is the highest recognition that the Secretary of the Navy may pay to a civilian not employed by the Department of the Navy.”

IMG_5371.jpeg - 226kB
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 12:30 PM

That is awesome! Congrats!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 01:21 PM

Here’s my award for civilian service to the US Navy.

Thank you for your service!

:lol: :lol:

Woke!

stillnbaja
Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 01:28 PM

here's mine....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

And working as a civilian on a movie production for the Navy isn't "military service".

He did dozens of deployments in culver city! Most other vets did only a few deployments.

Woke!

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 04:47 PM

It could simply be ESL issues in which case I apologize even though there’s no way to know that unless you share.
 Pages:  1  ..  97    99    101  ..  120

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.