BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: My wife is stranded in Mulege - please help me figure out how to get her home!
m.porosky

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:06 PM
My wife is stranded in Mulege - please help me figure out how to get her home!

Hello everybody,

My in-laws live in Mulege, Baja California at the Orchard and we live near San Diego, CA. My mother-in-law drove my wife to Mulege to visit on the basis that they will drive her back to the border in one or two weeks maximum. She has been gone for 3 weeks. The only form of ID my wife has with her is his Drivers License, Social Security Card and a copy of his birth certificate. She sent in for a passport (which also meant she had to send in her original birth certificate) about a week before she left. The passport and her birth certificate arrived the following day after she left and I have it in my possession.

Can she board an airplane to come back to the U.S. with the identification on her (Drivers License, Social Security Card, COPY of Birth Certificate), or does she need a passport? If she's able to board the airplane in Mexico, then I can give U.S. Customs at LAX her passport when she lands.

Is there any kind of Express Mail service that delivers to Baja California that I can overnight her Passport? FedEx doesn't seem to deliver there.

She can't get a ride back since everybody in her family seems to be too busy or have doctor appointments. She can't take the bus back because she doesn't have the proper form of identification, because as I understand it they stop you half-way and check. I do not want to risk her getting detained..

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:14 PM

Assuming that she got her FMT on the way down ??
That is all she needs to take a bus to the border.

At teh border, they will probably accept the copy of the birth certificate if all else is in order but you could also pick her up at the bus terminal in TJ with her new passort and cross with no problems
m.porosky

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:23 PM

Diver,

And there lays yet another problem. My mother-in-law is always in a hurry, so they didn't obtain FMT's on the way down to Mulege.. :mad: They're mexican citizens, but she is not..

Thank you.

-
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:27 PM

M.Porosky,

She could fly to Tijuana from La Paz, then cross the border. If she is a U.S. citizen, they will let her cross. They may ask her to go to secondary, but she will be able to cross.

Ted

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:30 PM

drive down and get her...
i did it every other week for a year...
mulege is ONLY 12 hours from the border in a car

express mail takes 1-2 weeks to arrive...belive me its true

with the items you say she has as id AND the receipt that she applied for a passport will get her on the plane

the question is...did she get an fmt at the border???
if she did she can ride the bus to tj and you can pick her up as she walks across

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
m.porosky

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:40 PM

MexicoTed: NOW THERE IS AN IDEA! Her uncle is leaving to La Paz this weekend and that is definitely a great idea about flying from La Paz to Tijuana. Does she need any special papers to fly within Mexico? What does going secondary mean?

What about Loreto to Tijuana? Do they fly to there from Loreto?

Bob and Susan: I've never driven in Mexico in my entire life, I don't speak spanish and I don't have mexican car insurance.. and worst of all I don't have a clue on how to get to Mulege! I'm not sure if she has the receipt that she applied for a passport or not.. this is something I didn't even think of.. I'm going to ask her if she took it with her when I call her in a few minutes. And if you read my second post above, she didn't get an FMT at the border..

And something else I'd like to share is that I'm a long time looker - I'm always on this forum here reading the posts and I've been following your pictures for a few years now Bob and Susan - I've always said that's the place I'll stay at if I go to Mulege, it's looking GREAT! Clean, clean and clean...

Thank you all for the help, I really, really appreciate it.

Mike

-
m.porosky

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:44 PM

Also, I saw a link in your website with Captain Mike with ScreamingAirlines, a private airline.. this might be another possibility.. I clicked on his website but it doesn't work. Does anybody have his phone number?

Thank you again.

-
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

Why is that? You don't need an FMT to buy a bus ticket.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:50 PM

Actually, you are right Dennis.
I didn't think the bus company would require the FMT but was thinking about GN - but they don't check FMTs on the way north, duh.
So either bus or flight option to TJ should work fine.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

Why is that? You don't need an FMT to buy a bus ticket.

I wonder if they check bus passengers for FMTs at Guerrero Negro?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 06:59 PM

Well, all of this is a relief........my glasses are dirty and I thought the post said "wife strangled" instead of "wife stranded"..................

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 07:00 PM

They may ask her for ID and her FMT (tourist card) at the La Paz airport, but since she is flying within country, they most likely will let her fly. I actually was in the Cabo airport a couple months ago when I met a gringo who didn't have a passport so he flew TJ to Cabo and then was returning. He said they didn't ask for a birth certicate or FMT upon leaving back to TJ, only when he flew TJ to Cabo. I guess my answer on that is I'm not 100% sure, but worth a try if you want to pay for it. Otherwise, it's the bus. I don't think any airlines fly between Loreto and TJ.

As far as secondary, it's where the U.S. Customs agents send you if they are suspicious or if you don't have proper papers. They don't do it all the time, but can.

Good luck,
Ted

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 07:32 PM

This is off his avatar here on nomads
http://www.carefreepartner.com/CaptainMike. Good Luck. You could also go talk to Don Johnson at Serinidad, He may be able to help you,k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Well, all of this is a relief........my glasses are dirty and I thought the post said "wife strangled" instead of "wife stranded"..................
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Well, I'm glad you got that cleared up!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 08:45 PM

m.porosky ..."My family owns the Orchard Vacation Village in Mulege"
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19075

you better "come on down" and see what they have
there's only one road...spanish not required

insurance can be easily purchased online 24-7 at http://www.bajabound.com

your family is well known and respected n mulege

the bus station is up the road from the Orchard...
your wife can take the bus overnight and arrive in tj in the morning
~$65 usa

if she's worried about fmt she can get that in santa rosalia with a small fine to pay

maybe she should just "hang" until the family returns to the states
the weather is getting warmer and alot of people in the village are leaving
she could ask around for a ride

there is alot worse places to be "stranded"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 04:41 AM

i am in milwaukee now or i'd go.
but i am not a private airline.
i am not a charter service either.

it is HUGELY expensive to fly a private plane to mexico and back today.
i can't even afford it myself anymore!!

you should take a plane loreto or la paz or a bus.

i have a new ISP so my websites are all defunct until i can rebuild them.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
You could also go talk to Don Johnson at Serinidad, He may be able to help you,k

Not sure I really see the problem in your situation and can't understand why you don't just pop the top off another cerveza and prop your feet up on the coffee table but if you are really committing to this see the above post or have your wife go to the nearest US consulate. Passport problems and getting Americans home is their specialty.

Are you really sure you don't want more time to rethink your actions?:lol:

In Memory of E-57
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 05:37 AM

I notice you said your WIFE has HIS Drivers License and HIS birth certificate but that's okay, I still think the consulate will also help your kind.

In Memory of E-57
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 06:31 AM

Will be in sd on Sat. pm crossing at tecate early am sun. Think we will be staying in El cajon sat night at motel 6 Home email jak6827@aol.com traveling to chivato jim:yes:

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
You could also go talk to Don Johnson at Serinidad, He may be able to help you,k

Not sure I really see the problem in your situation and can't understand why you don't just pop the top off another cerveza and prop your feet up on the coffee table but if you are really committing to this see the above post or have your wife go to the nearest US consulate. Passport problems and getting Americans home is their specialty.

Are you really sure you don't want more time to rethink your actions?:lol:

I'm of the same opinion sort of. What I can't get my little pea brain around is how you are married to a woman whos family lives in Mulege, she went down with them and you have never been to Baja in your life or driven there ever.

Not really any of my business the whos and whys, but I would have been with her on the trip. Just MHO. No offence intended.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.