Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2014 LIFEGUARD PROGRAM FOR BAHIA ASUNCION NEEDS YOUR HELP
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 03:53 PM
2014 LIFEGUARD PROGRAM FOR BAHIA ASUNCION NEEDS YOUR HELP

Hola Nomads,

ISLA/Southern California lifeguards are heading back to Bahia Asuncion this year and we need your help - please donate. Each year, I try to raise funds to cover costs - transportation, food and lodging for our annual trip to Baja. Our fundraising target is between $1,500-2,000 USD - we can reach our target if 75 Nomads donate $20. Last year we raised $940 thanks to kind donations and help from Bajanomad and Bloodydecks members. I want to extend a special heartfelt thank you to the family of Stan "Surfdoc" Stutzka (RIP mi amigo de IB y BA) for their generous donation. Stan was one of the key individuals that made this program possible for Bahia Asuncion - the program and our efforts are dedicated to his memory.

Here is a breakdown of how the $940 was spent last year:

1. $400 vehicle insurance (5 vehicles x $80=$400)
2. $120 food
3. $420 fuel/gas (this is where we were short on funds)

Local BA thanks to: Jaime and family, Ed and Jean, DianaT, Bajaluna, Shari, Pulga and others for hosting , helping organize, and getting the word out. Muchisimas gracias!

Our group this year will consist of 20 lifeguards and lots of vehicles to get everyone and our gear to Bahia Asuncion. Additionally, we are usually loaded up with lots of donated rescue equipment and surf gear/apparel to give away. We will be arriving late on Saturday Oct 4. The training program will be held Oct 5-7. This year we will be conducting a basic/layperson CPR course that is free and open to the public on Sunday Oct 5 at 8pm.

Last year's program was a great success and this year we hope to build on that. We worked with 20 people in the senior lifeguard group and approximately 65 kids - fantastic turnout and great enthusiasm. This year, the senior group is going to be facing tougher challenges as the program progresses in its evolution. If they thought they were tired last year, wait till early October. The junior lifeguard program will continue to work with kids in beach safety awareness and beach/ocean stewardship. For a nomad perspective about previous year's efforts please check out:

2012 thread

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=63002#pid7615...

2013 thread

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=68836#pid8509...

Two years ago I began collaborating with the International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA). ISLA is made up of a great group of professional lifeguards that take time off work and volunteer to train people, no big salaries here - we just want to help save lives around the world - we currently have programs in Baja/Mexico, Chile, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Macedonia, and the US. Many more global sites are in the works.

ISLA is registered 501-c-3 non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible in the US. If you would like to donate via Paypal to the Bahia Asuncion effort, you can do so via the ISLA website (link below), donate tab is on the upper and lower right side of the homepage. Please make sure and note/state that your donation is for the Baja program in the Paypal "message" box. Funds raised will only be used to cover transportation, food, lodging, and lifeguard/first aid equipment for the 2014 Asuncion trip. I will post an accounting here after the trip for complete transparency.

ISLA Homepage

http://www.islasurf.org/

ISLA Paypal link is located on the homepage at top/right (Donate) or bottom/right (Paypal). Both tabs will redirect you to the ISLA Paypal. Please use the paypal "message" box to note that your donation is for the Baja/Bahia Asuncion Lifeguard program.

Please donate and share this post with Baja friends and family.
If anyone has questions or comments or would like to make in-kind donations, please post here. Finally, I would like to extend an open invitation to everyone to join us in Bahia Asuncion Oct 5-7. Gracias Nomads

Peace,
Aaron

[Edited on 9-1-2014 by Aqsurfer]

[Edited on 9-1-2014 by Aqsurfer]

[Edited on 9-2-2014 by Aqsurfer]

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 04:10 PM
Donation of fuel...

Hi Aaron,

That is a great program... BajaCactus will help with $1,000 pesos in fuel. Just stop by our gas station in El Rosario on your way down and we will contribute a little bit towards your project.

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 04:27 PM
ISLA & Desert Hawks

Hola Antonio,

Thank you so much for your kind donation. This program is only possible thanks to people like you helping us out. We look forward to meeting you and thanking you in person in early October.

Thank you for the great work that you and the Desert Hawks do. I just read the post on the injured motorcyclist. I will try to secure a few items for you such as c-spine board, splints, etc. Feel free to U2U me with any needs you have for the ambulance and I will do my best to secure the items. Gracias to you and your team.

Gracias and Peace,
Aaron******************

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 04:52 PM

MasOlas.com will contribute to this worthy cause!

check your Paypal.

[Edited on 9-1-2014 by woody with a view]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 04:55 PM

seems like your Paypal addy is invalid?

Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 05:06 PM
ISLA Paypal

Hola Woody,

Thank you so much and I apologize for the inconvenience. I just checked the link off the ISLA homepage and it pulls up our Paypal account at the home page

http://www.islasurf.org/

Peace,
Aaron

Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 05:15 PM

Hola Woody and Antonio,

We will let all ISLA members know of your contribution, encourage them to support your businesses, and post a link to your websites.

Gracias and Peace,
Aaron
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 05:17 PM

Aqsurfer, Check you u2u.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 06:58 PM

great news Aaron...the village looks forward to your visit in Oct. I would be happy to help out with accommodation and will donate some yellowtail too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 07:09 PM

Hola Shari,

Thanks for the help, both lodging and fresh yellows are definitely welcome. See you soon.

Peace,
Aaron
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 07:49 PM

Hmmmmm. Let me see if I can get some YTail over to Asuncion as well!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 09:00 PM

Aaron,

I just made a paypal donation but it didn't give me an opportunity to identify the Baja project as the target. Suggestions?

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 09:41 PM

Hola John,

Thank you for donating. Can you please send me a U2U with your name and I will make sure that the funds go to the Asuncion program.

Peace,
Aaron
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 10:10 AM

Aaron, I typed in the isla.org into my paypal and it said there was an issue. i'll follow the link on their the ISLA homepage tonight when I get home.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 06:03 PM

Just threw in some $$ on behalf of my company.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by Ateo]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 06:59 PM

$ sent.

Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2014 at 02:06 PM

Hola Nomads,

Fundraising update:

We have raised $415 and an additional $1,000 pesos in fuel in the first week. That is a fantastic start and hope that the donations continue until we reach our goal of $1,500.

If you can, please donate via Paypal at:

http://www.islasurf.org

Donate tabs on right side, top & bottom of ISLA homepage. Please note that your donation is for the Baja/Asuncion program on Paypal's "message" box.

All of us at ISLA are hoping for safe days ahead as Baja communities face dangerous Hurricane Norbert conditions. Cuidense amigos.

Peace,
Aaron
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2014 at 02:18 PM

i didn't put a message....

Aqsurfer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2014 at 02:30 PM
Please Confirm

Hola Woody,

I just sent you a U2U.

Peace,
Aaron
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 09:03 PM

The great group of lifeguards and friends taking on this endeavour just past through BajaCactus in El Rosario southbound today (October 2nd, 2014).

Best of luck to all of you and thanks for all your efforts!!!

Antonio Muņoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.