BajaNomad

Jamie Is Running

Elena La Loca - 11-30-2014 at 10:20 PM

Met this guy 11/17 @ Cataviņa as we stopped for breakfast northbound on our Baja 1000 trip. He's RUNNING from Vancouver, B.C., Canada to Buenos Aires, Argentina! He's pushing a jogging stroller w/ all his gear. Follow his progress at www.jamieisrunning.com Tonight he's south of Santa Rosalia.

TecateRay - 11-30-2014 at 11:15 PM

He is another traffic hazard, just like the bicyclists. They both insist on endangering others without regard for drivers who have to dodge them on narrow roads.

BajaBlanca - 12-1-2014 at 02:17 AM

simply amazing!

Marc - 12-1-2014 at 07:21 AM

He's nuts....but I hope he makes it.

rts551 - 12-1-2014 at 08:18 AM

Last week this guy almost caused an accident by not getting out of the roadway when 2 cars passed each other on a curve. He was probably taking up 3 foot of the roadway. One car locked up his brakes for a second.

Pescador - 12-1-2014 at 09:21 AM

Jeez, we should rename this site "Grumpy Old Men". Met the kid last night at San Lucas Cove. Said he is losing weight faster than expected. During the United States section he could always stop a few times a day for Hamburgers and Fries, guess he has not figured out the Taco Stands yet.

In comparing this one to Graham it is interesting that one takes the highway, the other takes the road less traveled.

elgatoloco - 12-1-2014 at 09:30 AM

Saw LOTS of cows and horses this trip by the road and on it in a few occasions. They should be banned from the peninsula, they are hazards to drivers.

Two different occasions had LARGE RV's nearly take off my drivers side mirror, we need to ban those too.

Three times we saw bicyclists and we slowed (we never drive faster then is safe) down and passed when safe. Another great trip down THE BAJA. :saint:

mtgoat666 - 12-1-2014 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Last week this guy almost caused an accident by not getting out of the roadway when 2 cars passed each other on a curve. He was probably taking up 3 foot of the roadway. One car locked up his brakes for a second.

well that seems pretty obvious one or both cars was traveling to fast on the corner...

slow down and share the road! :light:

DianaT - 12-1-2014 at 10:39 AM

I wish him luck in what he is doing, and I hope he stays safe.

Yes, there are lots of road hazards driving down Baja.

In places like blind curves, he should be smart enough to step off the highway or he could become a speed bump.

rts551 - 12-1-2014 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

well that seems pretty obvious one or both cars was traveling to fast on the corner...

slow down and share the road! :light:

When traveling on Baja roads, the operative phrase would be watch out for the other driver. Not ....everyone watch out for me. If you get too righteous in your road manners, you are likely to be butt bumped into oblivion.

rts551 - 12-1-2014 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Saw LOTS of cows and horses this trip by the road and on it in a few occasions. They should be banned from the peninsula, they are hazards to drivers.

Two different occasions had LARGE RV's nearly take off my drivers side mirror, we need to ban those too.

Three times we saw bicyclists and we slowed (we never drive faster then is safe) down and passed when safe. Another great trip down THE BAJA. :saint:

you are right, some, not all, of these road travelers are about as bright as cattle and are a hazard to others on the road. goes for dumb RV drivers as well.

LancairDriver - 12-1-2014 at 11:10 AM

None of the mentioned "obstacles" needs to be banned from the road. Get on the road and take your chances. Drivers with reflexes exceeding a Sloth will take appropriate action to miss the targets, and if missing is impossible will take the path of least resistance. In that case the larger mass with the most kinetic energy usually wins.

David K - 12-1-2014 at 03:33 PM

None of this would be a problem if HWY. 1 still looked like this, as it did before 1973:

Main Baja Road, west of San Ignacio.

ligui - 12-1-2014 at 04:32 PM

Call me Grumpy , but roads are for CARS and TRUCKs . Walk in the ditch but but be safe ....:bounce:

:cool:

freediverbrian - 12-1-2014 at 07:14 PM

Grumpy, slow down, give the Baja wave not the finger,carefully pick your spot to pass and try to have a good time. If not go into your ugly American/troll cave and stay there.:biggrin:

ligui - 12-1-2014 at 08:02 PM

Freediverbrain , nobody is giving the finger ..what gives calling me a troll ? living in a cave ?

You stay home where you are . I've been in baja for years without a problem other then having to help those without a clue . :light:

freediverbrian - 12-1-2014 at 08:28 PM

I wish Jamie all the best. Good luck on his great journey.

David K - 12-2-2014 at 12:21 AM

The newer highway building and modernizing has 'bike lanes' (1 meter wide paved shoulders)...

It is wholly unsafe for non-motorized vehicles to use any of the older highway sections that are just 19 ft. wide without shoulders... that's a fact, regardless of right or wrong, legal or not. When the entire highway has this paved bike lane wide shoulder, the danger will be greatly reduced. Until then, suggest you use the old dirt road, or the old Camino Real, or go cross country if you want to walk or pedal safely. There's more of a challenge that way, too... Anyone can walk on an auto highway, after all!

mtgoat666 - 12-2-2014 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The newer highway building and modernizing has 'bike lanes' (1 meter wide paved shoulders)...

It is wholly unsafe for non-motorized vehicles to use any of the older highway sections that are just 19 ft. wide without shoulders... that's a fact, regardless of right or wrong, legal or not. When the entire highway has this paved bike lane wide shoulder, the danger will be greatly reduced. Until then, suggest you use the old dirt road, or the old Camino Real, or go cross country if you want to walk or pedal safely. There's more of a challenge that way, too... Anyone can walk on an auto highway, after all!

You say the most burrosinine things!

P.s. Jamie's blog is pretty interesting.

Edited to add... "A-s-s-i-n-i-n-e" is not a profanity, why was it censored?

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by mtgoat666]

David K - 12-2-2014 at 08:57 AM

Trying to "goat" me? LOL

To think that being on Hwy. 1 in the 19 ft. wide, shoulder-less sections is SAFE for people traveling on bikes or on foot is insane. It is not safe, I did not say it was wrong... that's up to the person who has no consideration for his fellow humans who must travel that highway (for whom it was built). The walkers or bike riders do not need to.

Bajaboy - 12-2-2014 at 09:00 AM

Trying to "goat" me? LOL

To think that being on Hwy. 1 in the 19 ft. wide, shoulder-less sections is SAFE for people traveling on bikes or on foot is insane. It is not safe, I did not say it was wrong... that's up to the person who has no consideration for his fellow humans who must travel that highway (for whom it was built). The walkers or bike riders do not need to.

Don't forget about the wide RVs and trailers:light: I think they should be banned as well.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by Bajaboy]

David K - 12-2-2014 at 09:27 AM

Except the highway was specifically built to promote economic development... and that includes RVs, trucks and trailers. The streams of RVs and Trucks far outweigh the rare bike riding tourist. Again, the RVs and Semi trucks wouldn't be going down Baja if not for the highway. Bikes and hikers don't need it as badly to get somewhere down there.

MMc - 12-2-2014 at 09:31 AM

If you want safe say in bed, other wise go out and live. People that do these things know and except the risks. Folks that think they are insane to do them will never get it, or them.

If they are a inconvenience to you, think about your priorities. There are a lot more folks that complete the trip then are left on the side of the road.

A good friend road across America 5 times, across Canada 1 time Baja 1 time. He said Canada was much by far the most thrilling.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by MMc]

mtgoat666 - 12-2-2014 at 10:38 AM

Except the highway was specifically built to promote economic development... and that includes RVs, trucks and trailers. The streams of RVs and Trucks far outweigh the rare bike riding tourist. Again, the RVs and Semi trucks wouldn't be going down Baja if not for the highway. Bikes and hikers don't need it as badly to get somewhere down there.

the sign says "not for high speed driving"
seems like the govt intended the road to be safe for all users, pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicles :light:

slow down, share the road!

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by mtgoat666]

David K - 12-2-2014 at 11:00 AM

I have no problem with driving a safe speed. You may have never been south of El Rosario, but I can tell you the laws of physics does not change with going 40 vs 80 when you round a blind curve in those hills and there is a bike in your lane and a semi truck or bus in the other!

It's nothing to do with sharing the road or hitting the brakes as two objects cannot share the same space at the same time.

1) You either hit the bike because stopping before isn't possible as you just rounded a curve and there he is. Kill the biker, and mess up your life... OR
2) You swerve into the other lane and have a head on, die, kill the biker and maybe the truck driver too, mess up your life? OR
3) Swerve off the road, into a rock face or off a cliff, maybe die... and that sure messes up your life, providing for your family, being there for your children or grandchildren.

ALL Because of a free choice someone on a bike or on foot made to use a highway too narrow for safety instead of going a different route.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 12-2-2014 at 11:14 AM

I have no problem with driving a safe speed. You may have never been south of El Rosario, but I can tell you the laws of physics does not change with going 40 vs 80 when you round a blind curve in those hills and there is a bike in your lane and a semi truck or bus in the other!

It's nothing to do with sharing the road or hitting the brakes as two objects cannot share the same space at the same time.

if you round a blind corner traveling too fast to respond to an obstruction in the road,... you are traveling too fast! :light:
never drive faster than the conditions or visibility allow :light:
basic speed law :light: (simple, practical concept, look it up)
if it's a blind corner, slow down :light:

David K - 12-2-2014 at 11:29 AM

A bike peddling up a hill is still getting hit because no car is going to slow to 2 mph or less on a blind curve, not now, not ever. You may get all us Nomads to do it, but the road is in Mexico, so good luck getting those millions to drive slower than a bike going uphill.

Why do you want the bike rider to die, anyway? I am suggesting something that is safer for everyone... You generally like government telling you how to restrict your life for the good of the many, so why is a grass roots effort to save lives bad?

motoged - 12-2-2014 at 01:40 PM

Why do you want the bike rider to die, anyway? I am suggesting something that is safer for everyone... You generally like government telling you how to restrict your life for the good of the many, so why is a grass roots effort to save lives bad?

Grass roots???? Keep on sprinkling, David :rolleyes: .....seems like you are now part of a grass root movement? Is that like, "power to the people"?....Sounds a little subversive....:lol:

Now it is you and not the government "telling ... how to restrict your life for the good of the many"....

Hmmmmmm?!?

Could you provide a map for a route alternative for cyclists in Baja?

MMc - 12-2-2014 at 03:01 PM

I bet this guys has great story's to tell. I also think he will get to La Paz, in spite of what we all think or not.

sancho - 12-2-2014 at 04:12 PM

Baja, back in the day, was trailblazed, founded on adventure,
maybe that is bygone time. While logic dicates this adventure
is less than safe, until the Mex Fed Hwy Cops prohibit non
motorized travel on 1, he is well within his right. As posted
if one is going at a speed not allowing for braking distance
you're going too fast, the Pacificos will be there 45 sec. later,
share the road

RnR - 12-2-2014 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I bet this guys has great story's to tell. I also think he will get to La Paz, in spite of what we all think or not.

He'll make it. He's already got 2,000 miles of experience under his feet. He was "truckin" right along when we passed by him two weeks ago.

Now, the three big construction detours near Insurgentes and La Paz might be a bit interesting ....

The dust was soooo bad when we passed thru that a small car was embedded under the back of a semi. Yep, blew through the dust so fast that the driver never saw the semi in front of him.

Of course, this guy was not smart enough to wonder WHY the dust was so thick just in front of him .....

motoged - 12-2-2014 at 04:54 PM

When in elementary school, we were taught to face on-coming traffic when walking on the road....meaning on the left side of road in relation to your walking direction. This enables the walker to see on-coming traffic, as well as the driver seeing the walker "in his lane".

Most of us knew this by grade 7....but the delinquent kid at the back of the class asked. "How can we hitch-hike that way?"

Some of us snickered....and others didn't get it as they never thought of hitchhiking :tumble:

The teacher didn't have a memorable reply.

What side of the road is this guy walking on?

P.S. I was sitting beside him :lol:

David K - 12-2-2014 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Sure, but getting Kacey Smith's book would be even better!

Volume 1 Baja GPS Guide for Motorcyles

Volume 2 Baja GPS Guide for Motorcycles

Included are how to get all around Baja without using any paved roads and many on M/C only single tracks!

mtgoat666 - 12-2-2014 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Baja, back in the day, was trailblazed, founded on adventure,
maybe that is bygone time. While logic dicates this adventure
is less than safe, until the Mex Fed Hwy Cops prohibit non
motorized travel on 1, he is well within his right. As posted
if one is going at a speed not allowing for braking distance
you're going too fast, the Pacificos will be there 45 sec. later,
share the road

Mama Espinosa always said that bad roads brought adventurous tolerant people, and paved roads brought uptight gringos, grumpy old men and intolerant cagers!

motoged - 12-2-2014 at 10:49 PM

David,
I have ridden on some of those tracks and NONE of them are suitable for bicycle travel or for those pushing a cart....:rolleyes:

Your suggestion is naive and idiotic....perhaps the top of the list for your foolish comments....

Get a grip. :mad:

willardguy - 12-2-2014 at 11:30 PM

David,
I have ridden on some of those tracks and NONE of them are suitable for bicycle travel or for those pushing a cart....:rolleyes:

Your suggestion is naive and idiotic....perhaps the top of the list for your foolish comments....

Get a grip. :mad:

its good, but pales in comparison to Davids "baseball bats kill more people every year than guns"!:lol: imagine some of the doozies there must be in fourty- two thousand twenty posts! someone should be keeping track!

[Edited on 12-3-2014 by willardguy]

David K - 12-3-2014 at 07:01 AM

wow...... Kacey's books are designed for motor bikes... did I say bicycles? Ged, you don't ride a bicycle, I was responding to you.

Willard, I am sad you find that funny you think that most of my contributions here are stuff like that. Please go to the Historic Interests and Trip Reports forums and look for baseball bats. General discussion is that... discussion... and if you think making it illegal for honest citizens to arm themselves will somehow make all the bad guys throw away their guns, well that is a doozie!

ligui - 12-3-2014 at 07:53 AM

Dk ,they just want argue with you , they have nothing better to do .

Thanks for all the Baja info. !

I know what my choice would be on a sharp corner.... Life

David K - 12-3-2014 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  

Thank you... I do take things too seriously here. I wish we could all just have fun and learn more about Baja. There are great people on Nomad.

David K - 12-3-2014 at 09:53 AM

Thank you... I do take things too seriously here. I wish we could all just have fun and learn more about Baja. There are great people on Nomad.

motoged - 12-3-2014 at 10:41 AM

David,
The conversation was about a guy pushing a cart on his walk to South America.....then the bicycle thing was brought up.....and then your lesson on highway construction .....and that the road was not intended for non-vehicular travel....

I don't want to argue as much as I want to point out the reason for my response.

I DO have better things to do, but suffering idiocy is not one of them.

rts551 - 12-3-2014 at 11:30 AM

DK

After someone challenges your post a little you always play the victim hoping someone will come support you. What you might do is think a little as to why, (other than someone is picking on you, kinda a childish reaction) why you elicit such responses.

Ralph

Mexitron - 12-3-2014 at 11:39 AM

None of this would be a problem if HWY. 1 still looked like this, as it did before 1973:

Main Baja Road, west of San Ignacio.

I think I mentioned this before but might be nice to have a separate paved bike path---they could use the old road in parts even. Probably increase the eco-tourism. Oh wait, I don't want more tourists down there, never mind. :lol:

David K - 12-3-2014 at 12:39 PM

Ha ha... well all newly made highways (Mexicali to San Felipe and then Puertecitos south, and Maneadero south to near San Vicente so far) have the bike lane shoulder, and paved too...

It is the older, shoulderless roads and sections that are dangerous to all when passing eco-tourists.

As for where the old road is compared to Hwy. 1, that non-motorized travelers could use, and have some real adventure...

Here are my posts to show the old road on Google Earth, the Lower California Guidebook maps and Cliff Cross maps. South of Bahia Concepcion the old main road and today's Hwy. 1 took different routes to Insurgentes. The main road before 1971-72 went via Comondu or some could go south via La Purisima, just a few more miles. South of La Paz, the old road (before 1969-70) went through the towns of Santiago and Miraflores, not a mile or two outside as Hwy. 1 does.

Part 1: El Rosario-Cataviņa: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48770

Part 2: Cataviņa - Punta Prieta: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48791

Part 3: Punta Prieta - El Arco: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48866

Part 4: El Arco - San Ignacio and Cuesta del Infierno: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49055

philodog - 12-3-2014 at 03:02 PM

I pity the bikers making that miserable ride. They are only seeing the absolute worst part of Baja. A waste of a good vacation when there is so much else to see.

David K - 12-3-2014 at 03:15 PM

DK

After someone challenges your post a little you always play the victim hoping someone will come support you. What you might do is think a little as to why, (other than someone is picking on you, kinda a childish reaction) why you elicit such responses.

Ralph

How about a deal? You find something else to do here instead of wasting any energy commenting with what I share with my friends here. You don't like anything I post, so why is life so shallow that you have to read and then critique my posts. If I make a mistake, others will happily point it out. Friendly, nice comments or corrections are great... and I also try and help others with their Baja information, so we can better respect and enjoy the place we love. It's what I have done here since 2002, so you came to where I already was... I know enough people (and the owner) of this forum enjoys what I bring to the table. Not everyone will like what I bring, but they don't tip the table over with endless haranguing.

willardguy - 12-3-2014 at 03:26 PM

oh david! you know what happens when you have that second bottle of beer!:lol:

David K - 12-3-2014 at 03:31 PM

LOL I am always happy! (well more so when I am in Baja)

mtgoat666 - 12-3-2014 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
oh david! you know what happens when you have that second bottle of beer!:lol:

how does that sun manage to cast a shadow?

rts551 - 12-3-2014 at 04:00 PM

Oh David. forever the victim. I had legitimate input and questions and input on this post.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=76605

You went berserk. Whats a guy to do? You banning me now?

by the way we go back to the Amigo days...and I joined this forum shortly after you. You don't like what I write...ignore it...If you have not noticed, that is what I do with your nonsense most of the time.

DK

Ralph

How about a deal? You find something else to do here instead of wasting any energy commenting with what I share with my friends here. You don't like anything I post, so why is life so shallow that you have to read and then critique my posts. If I make a mistake, others will happily point it out. Friendly, nice comments or corrections are great... and I also try and help others with their Baja information, so we can better respect and enjoy the place we love. It's what I have done here since 2002, so you came to where I already was... I know enough people (and the owner) of this forum enjoys what I bring to the table. Not everyone will like what I bring, but they don't tip the table over with endless haranguing.

MMc - 12-3-2014 at 04:09 PM

This guy will be able to give quite a talk when he is done, I would love to share a campfire with him.

I have read a bit of this guys Blog, nowhere is anything about his fear about running along the highway or it being unsafe. Living life in your armchair is different then those that are out doing it. Those that do this stuff understand and except what happens, the rest have no idea. If you think any spewing here is going to affect his run then you are fighting windmills.

When somebody tackles an Adventure it is theirs if you don't approve of it so what. I drive MEX1, 5 to 8 times per year. All the times I see a bike/walker/runner/cow it has never cost me more then a few minutes. Never even came close to being unsafe. So why are pi$$ing over him running on the road. You think it's unsafe, that's just your point of view.

He is safer on the road then on a motorcycle trail. Every time I see see the guided tours on dirt roads they are flying.

rts551 - 12-3-2014 at 04:41 PM

The problem with these kinds of threads are the polarization. Not everyone who questions the safety of this kind of venture sits in an arm chair. People think we are nuts for racing the Baja 1000. His adventure is not his alone. there are many other people and commercial trucks on the road that he affects. At the same time all hazards are not going to be removed from this hwy. Drivers need to be cautious. Maybe if these guys can be on the road and be a little more "Mexican", move off the road when traffic is coming we would all be happier.

Hopefully more people will take the middle road on this issue.

This guy will be able to give quite a talk when he is done, I would love to share a campfire with him.

I have read a bit of this guys Blog, nowhere is anything about his fear about running along the highway or it being unsafe. Living life in your armchair is different then those that are out doing it. Those that do this stuff understand and except what happens, the rest have no idea. If you think any spewing here is going to affect his run then you are fighting windmills.

When somebody tackles an Adventure it is theirs if you don't approve of it so what. I drive MEX1, 5 to 8 times per year. All the times I see a bike/walker/runner/cow it has never cost me more then a few minutes. Never even came close to being unsafe. So why are pi$$ing over him running on the road. You think it's unsafe, that's just your point of view.

He is safer on the road then on a motorcycle trail. Every time I see see the guided tours on dirt roads they are flying.

dorado50 - 12-3-2014 at 06:22 PM

you grumpy old men spend way too much time on the internet to enjoy the Baja, put the machine down and go outside and see what Baja has to offer. As to the biker/walker on hwy 1 "live and let live"

MMc - 12-3-2014 at 06:33 PM

I agree that many are not armchair posters, He should step off the road too. I seen chase trucks behave from good to bad we accept them, why not this guy?

My point is this board will not change his adventure and to discuss what he should or should not do is like me bit-chen about the government or teaching pigs to sing.
The middle of the road is a good place if you are quick.

The problem with these kinds of threads are the polarization. Not everyone who questions the safety of this kind of venture sits in an arm chair. People think we are nuts for racing the Baja 1000. His adventure is not his alone. there are many other people and commercial trucks on the road that he affects. At the same time all hazards are not going to be removed from this hwy. Drivers need to be cautious. Maybe if these guys can be on the road and be a little more "Mexican", move off the road when traffic is coming we would all be happier.

Hopefully more people will take the middle road on this issue.

Bajatripper - 12-10-2014 at 05:28 PM

1) You either hit the bike because stopping before isn't possible as you just rounded a curve and there he is. Kill the biker, and mess up your life... OR
2) You swerve into the other lane and have a head on, die, kill the biker and maybe the truck driver too, mess up your life? OR
3) Swerve off the road, into a rock face or off a cliff, maybe die... and that sure messes up your life, providing for your family, being there for your children or grandchildren.

ALL Because of a free choice someone on a bike or on foot made to use a highway too narrow for safety instead of going a different route.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by David K]

Greetings, David

I had a chat with a Federal once, who informed me that the maximum speed on most of the two-lane highway down Baja is something like 40 kilometers/hour. At that speed, avoiding bicycles would not be a problem, even on blind curves. THAT is what the Mexican government had in mind when they put the road in.

rts551 - 12-10-2014 at 05:59 PM

problem is . most is 80KPH... Don't do a DK and say someone told you :biggrin:

chippy - 12-10-2014 at 06:18 PM

Run him down like a dog in the street:light:.

David K - 12-10-2014 at 06:25 PM

Well, hitting bikes obviously isn't happening much, otherwise Antonio would let us know... so God has a place in his heart for those who can't wait for the paved shoulder that is being added to Hwy. 1 as we speak.

bigmike58 - 12-10-2014 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dorado50  
you grumpy old men spend way too much time on the internet to enjoy the Baja, put the machine down and go outside and see what Baja has to offer. As to the biker/walker on hwy 1 "live and let live"

LOL, Fat chance of that ever happening. :lol:

mtgoat666 - 12-10-2014 at 07:07 PM

Just visited the jamieisrunning website to read about his adventure. Sure was a whole lot more interesting than this drivel!

Mulegena - 12-11-2014 at 05:29 PM

Where is he, anyway?

We drove to La Paz and didn't see him on the road.

elgatoloco - 12-11-2014 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulegena  
Where is he, anyway?

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

Correcamino - 12-12-2014 at 09:31 AM

Where is he, anyway?

Checked out location on Google Maps. Jamie's crossing that desolate stretch between the dreamy coast south of Loreto and not-so-dreamy Insurgentes:

grizzlyfsh95 - 12-12-2014 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Correcamino  
Where is he, anyway?

Checked out location on Google Maps. Jamie's crossing that desolate stretch between the dreamy coast south of Loreto and not-so-dreamy Insurgentes:

There...see the bike lanes on both sides?

Jamie's Location

Correcamino - 12-16-2014 at 04:03 PM

If anyone's still following Jamie and his run, here's his current location: that magical spot where Mexico 1 turns into the Malecon in La Paz.

Bugman - 12-16-2014 at 05:31 PM

I ran into him during Thanksgiving week in Jesus Maria. We got a chance to talk for a bit while he was getting ready to make his run for Guerrero Negro. He was going to try and make it to La Paz and then hopefully bum a ride on a boat to the mainland. Seems like a very nice guy and the locals were taking to him wherever he went. I realize what he is doing has its risks but I wish him the best and I hope he makes it. Not sure how he is going to cope with the Darien Gap though??? Maybe boat time again? :cool:

Pescador - 12-16-2014 at 07:02 PM

When he hit San Lucas Cove I asked him about the response on the highway from truckers and the like. He indicated most of the negativity came from the tourists and most of the truckers he talked to were pretty cool about what he was doing. I would guess that is pretty consistent with the "Grumpy Old Men" diagnosis. Seems like the ones hollering the loudest are the ones who think that the road is a dangerous experience and that a guy with a tricycle push vehicle is somehow endangering the whole Baja with his reckless behavior and yet he has made it to La Paz and no close calls or other problems caused. Guess we do not need to rely on the Federales to worry about the safety of the highway, we take care of it on Nomads.

MMc - 12-16-2014 at 07:39 PM

Go figure!!! I hope he has a great run.
I would love to spend some campfire time with him.

Mulegena - 12-16-2014 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Correcamino  
If anyone's still following Jamie and his run, here's his current location: that magical spot where Mexico 1 turns into the Malecon in La Paz.

That was fast. Saw him Sunday afternoon sitting on the side of Mex-1 just north of Las Positas (60 miles north of La Paz) having lunch in the shade of his push-cart.

Good for him.
Wish him well on his journey.

bajadogs - 12-16-2014 at 09:40 PM

Go figure!!! I hope he has a great run.
I would love to spend some campfire time with him.

Ditto! The fact he made it this far without plowing down a horse or cow or heard of goats or pack of dogs or burros or stalled cars or trucks or road construction crews or fresh washouts or debris in the road or going head-on into a semi is astronomically impossible.

I would be humbly grateful to have the opportunity to cross paths with Jamie over the many Baja1000 chasers who have put me at risk. :P

edit to correct this sites burro b00llch1t

[Edited on 12-17-2014 by bajadogs]