BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Baja Discussion: Your story of this Part of Baja...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 11:11 AM

The El Volcan mission search.

Part 1
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52720

Part 2
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52720
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 11:30 AM

The following story took place in July 1978, returning home from Pt Escondido. The repair was done at El Marmol.

-------------------------------------------------------

It was over all too soon. We woke Feliciano at dawn to say goodbye and headed north. Little did we know that baja had one more surprise in store for us. Somewhere between Catavina and El Rosaria I looked in the rear view mirror and noticed that the boat seemed a bit lower than it should have been. An inspection revealed that the frame of the trailer had cracked on the right side. What to do? We were in the middle of nowhere. A car went by every 45 minutes.

We pulled the boat off and laid it by the side of the road. The trailer frame was lashed together with the spare rope. We decided to separate. Val and Nadine would stay with the boat while Vera and I would go scouting for help. It seemed like a mad plan at the time as there was nothing but an occasional rancho within miles. Nadine, who is actually an accomplished painter, decided not to waste time. She set up her easel and oils and went to work.

Vera and I drove north looking for anyone or anything that could get us out of our predicament. We soon reached an SCT building and asked around. A fairly attractive attendant gestured, holding her index finger an inch from her thumb, smiled, and walked out the back door. Vera pulled me aside and asked me if I understood the gesture. It was their way of saying un momentito (wait a moment). She was far better than I in picking up these nuances. After a lot of background verbiage she reemerged and offered to take us somewhere for the repairs. We climbed back into our Maverick and drove off into the desert. Our vehicle weaved through fields of desert cactus and brush on a dirt road that seemed to go nowhere.

Finally, to my amazement, we came to a field with enormous mounds of dirt and the sound of heavy machinery. It was a mining excavation of some sort. Our companion got out and explained the problem to one of the workers. He left us for a short period of time and then showed up with an acetylene tank and proceeded to weld my trailer back together. I could not believe my good fortune. I offered to pay him for his services but he absolutely refused anything from me. I pleaded some more but the man wouldn't accept a dime. I soon understood that my offers were actually insulting him. He finally suggested that I might buy him a cerveza, and so I got him a six pack.

On the way back to the highway the lady asked us if we could somehow get her into the United States. She complained of being bored here in baja, that life was passing her by. I couldn't believe my ears. She was living in paradise and yet longed for the suburbs of Los Angeles.

By the time we reached our friends it was sunset. The desert was lit up with that golden glow we had grown to love so much. The glow we like to watch on the Sierra Giganta every morning from our campsite at Pt. Escondido. Nadine was now working feverishly to get it all on canvas before the light faded.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 11:47 AM

I am also curious as to the statue ???? where is it located ???? TJ? Mexico City? It sure is big.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 12:29 PM

Several years ago I rode my 450 KTM solo up to the Widowmaker...and my better sense told me not to go down as going up might give this hill its reward :O

I have helmet cam video of the ride all the way from the Catavina hotel and back (just haven't posted it as it is several house of video)...and watch it from time to time when I need a hit ;D

The American guy who has a ranch just north of Rancho Santa Inez intercepted me on my way east of his place at a fork in the trail (I had turned south and ended up in a goat corral....and met him back at the fork I needed to take (I left the spoons :biggrin:).

We chatted and soon learned he had met a Kamloops legend (Al Perret....Baja 1000 moto-racer who teams up with Malcolm Smith and Bill Nichols to win their class !!!) when Al needed some welding and/or chain repair done....

This gentleman cautioned me about my riding solo ("A young guy and his girlfriend had problems with a broken limb out there...." ), so I thanked him and assured him I wasn't going to get myself in trouble... :saint:

We parted ways and it was one of my best solo rides in Baja.

I never made it to the mission....but will try next time I am there with riding buddies .

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
David,
You shared a picture of a statue made from El Marmol onyx. Where is that statue displayed?

John

From an article I wrote for Baja Bound:

Onyx harvested from El Marmol was used to make ornamental objects, inkwells, bookends, statues, and more. A bathtub for the silent film era's vamp Theda Bara came from a block of El Marmol onyx. In 1936, a 60-ton, 38-foot high statue named Vision of Peace, in Saint Paul, Minnesota was made from El Marmol's blocks of onyx. Originally named 'Indian God of Peace', it is considered the largest carved onyx statue in the world. The giant statue sits on a slowly revolving base at the entrance to the city hall and county courthouse in Saint Paul.

The entire article and photos: http://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/the_onyx_...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LoyeB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 02:32 AM

So the question I have is...is the widowmakers possible with a 4X4 tacoma with 32" ties, no mods.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 10:06 AM

A 93 toyota with 31 inch tires did it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LoyeB
So the question I have is...is the widowmakers possible with a 4X4 tacoma with 32" ties, no mods.

My three stock Tacomas all made it, with stock tires (31")... a 2001 xtra cab and a 2005 and 2010 double cab.

The deal maker is they all were Off Road TRD 4WD Tacomas (locking rear differential or A-TRAC equipped).

In 2003:

In 2007:

Here's a photo of The Squarecircle's Land Rover on the Widowmaker:

In 2010:
edm1's 4WD van/motorhome and a stock Toyota 4Runner (BajaTripper's) behind... coming down the Widowmwker.

Of interest on the stock question... the 4Runner (no rear locker) had no problem climbing the Widowmaker, but he did require getting pulled through the bog, both directions.

See more, and road details on these web pages: http://vivabaja.com/msm and http://vivabaja.com/msm2010

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 11:17 AM

About 6-8 years ago Nomad Corky 1 and I met at Rancho Santa Ines to do some motorcycle riding in the Catavina area. Actually we were looking for a MC route down El Volcan arroyo to the Sea of Cortez. It was April so the weather was great. Corky was in his motor home and I had a room at the rancho. We left early in the morning for El Marmol then on to El Volcan.

Turning into the sandy wash and riding down it turned into an exercise of torment. In some areas we had to walk and half carry the bikes over the rocks. There would be a good section of sand to ride then another section of rocks. After a couple of miles we took a rest break. I told Corky I would walk ahead and see if it gets any better. He was scanning the ridges for a possible way up to maybe a mesa type area.

I walked for maybe another mile or more to a switchback type area that dropped down maybe 20+ feet with the wash turning left. Large boulder type rocks were everywhere. In my opinion even a trials rider would have problems. The wash traveled another 1/4 mile or more and made a turn to the right with lots of big rocks along the way. This was the end of the line.

I walked back to Corky and we both agreed there was no route east in this area and it was time to head back to the ranch. After the same difficulties going over, around and thru the rocks we made it out to Hwy 1. We're pretty beat wrestling the bikes up and down the wash. Down the road a little ways is a loncheria. We stop in and have a coke, just what the doctor ordered, it got our energy back.

That evening we are having dinner at the ranch and there are several others in the dining room. One lady had her fingers in a cast like wrap, I don't remember exactly how it was done. Anyway I asked her what happen and she said she fell off a horse, or maybe it was a mule. She was riding the King's Highway with Nomad Baja Bucko thru back country and going downhill when something spooked the animal and she fell off breaking her fingers. It was a great evening of story telling and meeting other Baja adventurers.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 11:42 AM
AGUA DULCE, historic spring on El Camino Real

Located just a couple miles drive off Hwy. 1, between San Agustin and Cataviņa...

Here is where the access road from Km. 160.5 meets the Old Main Baja Road. Photo looking southbound on the Old Road. The entrance road to Agua Dulce is just a short distance north from here...

Elizabeth at Agua Dulce... Turn north from Hwy. 1 between
Km. 160-161. Go 1.4 mi. to old Baja main road
(previous photo), turn left for 0.3 mi. then right 0.3 more. Hike into gully.

Visit in Nov. 2002:

A lone blue palm grows from the gully containing the large spring. Located along the El Camino Real, Agua Dulce was a vital water source for early travels. GPS at the water's edge is N29°52.97'/ W114°49.38' (NAD27).

Agua Dulce is midway between the missions of Santa Maria and San Fernando and has been a major water source for travelers from prehistoric times until the 20th century.

!977 Map of El Camino Real from Harry Crosby's research.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
About 6-8 years ago Nomad Corky 1 and I met at Rancho Santa Ines to do some motorcycle riding in the Catavina area. Actually we were looking for a MC route down El Volcan arroyo to the Sea of Cortez. It was April so the weather was great. Corky was in his motor home and I had a room at the rancho. We left early in the morning for El Marmol then on to El Volcan.

Turning into the sandy wash and riding down it turned into an exercise of torment. In some areas we had to walk and half carry the bikes over the rocks. There would be a good section of sand to ride then another section of rocks. After a couple of miles we took a rest break. I told Corky I would walk ahead and see if it gets any better. He was scanning the ridges for a possible way up to maybe a mesa type area.

I walked for maybe another mile or more to a switchback type area that dropped down maybe 20+ feet with the wash turning left. Large boulder type rocks were everywhere. In my opinion even a trials rider would have problems. The wash traveled another 1/4 mile or more and made a turn to the right with lots of big rocks along the way. This was the end of the line.

I walked back to Corky and we both agreed there was no route east in this area and it was time to head back to the ranch. After the same difficulties going over, around and thru the rocks we made it out to Hwy 1. We're pretty beat wrestling the bikes up and down the wash. Down the road a little ways is a loncheria. We stop in and have a coke, just what the doctor ordered, it got our energy back.

That evening we are having dinner at the ranch and there are several others in the dining room. One lady had her fingers in a cast like wrap, I don't remember exactly how it was done. Anyway I asked her what happen and she said she fell off a horse, or maybe it was a mule. She was riding the King's Highway with Nomad Baja Bucko thru back country and going downhill when something spooked the animal and she fell off breaking her fingers. It was a great evening of story telling and meeting other Baja adventurers.

Neat story TW... it sure wasn't any easier in 2011 when we searched for elbeau's lost Santa Isabel mission in El Volcan arroyo! That was a fun hike, even without the Jesuit treasure in our hands!

Where you also with Corky on the other side, checking out the arroyo only to find a dry waterfall that couldn't be scaled? I think it was 'BillB' (Rokon 2WD MC) and 'gilaoro' Max on that search with Corky???

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 12:10 PM

Wow, David--------If a ROKON can't make it, nothing can!?!?!?!?

http://www.rokon.com/

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 12:27 PM

No DK, I wasn't with them on that one.

[Edited on 11-4-2013 by TW]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 04:04 PM

10-4 Tom...

Barry, right?! It is an awesome bike indeed... BillB bought it to try and get into (and out of) SalSiPuedes Canyon (north of dry lakes near Bahia de los Angeles) after reading Erle Stanley Gardner's book...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 04:11 PM

David --------That is exactly why I wanted one, but never acted on that thought. Did BillB ever actually try and get in to Salsipuedes??? What a GREAT trip THAT would be!!!!

(Somehow I think we have had this conversation before?!?!?!?) :o:lol:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 04:47 PM

Bill had set up base camp on the north dry lake bed (as did Uncle Erle) and even found the place where the Gardner party lowered the Pak Jaks down into the canyon by rope.

Because of new roads (north of Desengaņo) to a ranch (San Luis) which is at the head of SalSiPuedes... he found access easier that way... This is what I recall from our chats and emails of several years ago.

Bill also climbed up to the DC-3 plane wreck on Cerro La Gobernadora (the mountain just east of El Crucero, Sierra la Asamblea... Gardner mentions.

Alas, BillB has only posted here 12 times from 2005 to 2009...

Last post by BillB was in the thread about the mystery walls at Bahia las Animas (Choral Pepper believed was the Jesuit 'started' mission site Santa Maria Magdalena), discovered by the Gardner expedition of Feb. 1966: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=36261

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 06:18 PM

No more posts from GilaOro, either. Used to hear from him all the time. I think he had health problem several years ago.

Boy, I would sure love to get into those canyons north of BOLA and south of Calamajue (sp?), but they are so big and long that you would need some type of vehicle to do them justice. (Rokon) Also you would need several days in there.

thanks, David.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
No more posts from GilaOro, either. Used to hear from him all the time. I think he had health problem several years ago.

Boy, I would sure love to get into those canyons north of BOLA and south of Calamajue (sp?), but they are so big and long that you would need some type of vehicle to do them justice. (Rokon) Also you would need several days in there.

thanks, David.

Barry

Yah, he sold his beach house project to Wild Bill and stopped coming south. He was an avid gold prospector and told me of some cool places I need to investigate. Baja is so wonderful!

Neal Johns posted a photo of GilaOro and wife Polly with Neal's esposa Marian, in Feb. 2003:

I went off roading with Max and Polly a couple months later (Matomi and San Fermin areas):

Lunch stop.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2015 at 12:59 PM

David, you probably know the dates on this and I don't. In the summer of 1969 I flew from Las Vegas to southern Baja in a Beech Bonanza. The pilot, a contractor from Vegas said he walked into mission Santa Maria from the east 14 months before Earl Stanley Gardner went there. He was proud of that and sent Gardner a Polaroid picture of the mission site with the date on it.

The fishing at Guaymas was not that good so we went across to the peninsula, he found the mission from the air and buzzed it a couple of times before we went on to finally arrive at what is now Los Barriles. One of the Verdugo family members in Los Barriles remembered guiding him and his friends to the mission when he was just a boy.

[Edited on 6-13-2015 by Osprey]
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2015 at 03:22 PM

Many beautiful images. I enjoyed all of the pictures in the canyons around the old abandoned mission on the widow maker road. The old ruins from the placer diggings were great. Thanks, Ric
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.