Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Jamie Is Running
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 10:41 AM

David,
The conversation was about a guy pushing a cart on his walk to South America.....then the bicycle thing was brought up.....and then your lesson on highway construction .....and that the road was not intended for non-vehicular travel....

I don't want to argue as much as I want to point out the reason for my response.

I DO have better things to do, but suffering idiocy is not one of them.

Don't believe everything you think....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 11:30 AM

DK

After someone challenges your post a little you always play the victim hoping someone will come support you. What you might do is think a little as to why, (other than someone is picking on you, kinda a childish reaction) why you elicit such responses.

Ralph

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
Dk ,they just want argue with you , they have nothing better to do .

Thanks for all the Baja info. !

I know what my choice would be on a sharp corner.... Life

Thank you... I do take things too seriously here. I wish we could all just have fun and learn more about Baja. There are great people on Nomad.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 11:39 AM

None of this would be a problem if HWY. 1 still looked like this, as it did before 1973:

Main Baja Road, west of San Ignacio.

I think I mentioned this before but might be nice to have a separate paved bike path---they could use the old road in parts even. Probably increase the eco-tourism. Oh wait, I don't want more tourists down there, never mind. :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 12:39 PM

Ha ha... well all newly made highways (Mexicali to San Felipe and then Puertecitos south, and Maneadero south to near San Vicente so far) have the bike lane shoulder, and paved too...

It is the older, shoulderless roads and sections that are dangerous to all when passing eco-tourists.

As for where the old road is compared to Hwy. 1, that non-motorized travelers could use, and have some real adventure...

Here are my posts to show the old road on Google Earth, the Lower California Guidebook maps and Cliff Cross maps. South of Bahia Concepcion the old main road and today's Hwy. 1 took different routes to Insurgentes. The main road before 1971-72 went via Comondu or some could go south via La Purisima, just a few more miles. South of La Paz, the old road (before 1969-70) went through the towns of Santiago and Miraflores, not a mile or two outside as Hwy. 1 does.

Part 1: El Rosario-Cataviņa: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48770

Part 2: Cataviņa - Punta Prieta: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48791

Part 3: Punta Prieta - El Arco: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48866

Part 4: El Arco - San Ignacio and Cuesta del Infierno: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49055

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 03:02 PM

I pity the bikers making that miserable ride. They are only seeing the absolute worst part of Baja. A waste of a good vacation when there is so much else to see.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
DK

After someone challenges your post a little you always play the victim hoping someone will come support you. What you might do is think a little as to why, (other than someone is picking on you, kinda a childish reaction) why you elicit such responses.

Ralph

Thank you... I do take things too seriously here. I wish we could all just have fun and learn more about Baja. There are great people on Nomad.

How about a deal? You find something else to do here instead of wasting any energy commenting with what I share with my friends here. You don't like anything I post, so why is life so shallow that you have to read and then critique my posts. If I make a mistake, others will happily point it out. Friendly, nice comments or corrections are great... and I also try and help others with their Baja information, so we can better respect and enjoy the place we love. It's what I have done here since 2002, so you came to where I already was... I know enough people (and the owner) of this forum enjoys what I bring to the table. Not everyone will like what I bring, but they don't tip the table over with endless haranguing.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 03:26 PM

oh david! you know what happens when you have that second bottle of beer!:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 03:31 PM

LOL I am always happy! (well more so when I am in Baja)

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
oh david! you know what happens when you have that second bottle of beer!:lol:

how does that sun manage to cast a shadow?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 04:00 PM

Oh David. forever the victim. I had legitimate input and questions and input on this post.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=76605

You went berserk. Whats a guy to do? You banning me now?

by the way we go back to the Amigo days...and I joined this forum shortly after you. You don't like what I write...ignore it...If you have not noticed, that is what I do with your nonsense most of the time.

DK

Ralph

How about a deal? You find something else to do here instead of wasting any energy commenting with what I share with my friends here. You don't like anything I post, so why is life so shallow that you have to read and then critique my posts. If I make a mistake, others will happily point it out. Friendly, nice comments or corrections are great... and I also try and help others with their Baja information, so we can better respect and enjoy the place we love. It's what I have done here since 2002, so you came to where I already was... I know enough people (and the owner) of this forum enjoys what I bring to the table. Not everyone will like what I bring, but they don't tip the table over with endless haranguing.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 04:09 PM

This guy will be able to give quite a talk when he is done, I would love to share a campfire with him.

I have read a bit of this guys Blog, nowhere is anything about his fear about running along the highway or it being unsafe. Living life in your armchair is different then those that are out doing it. Those that do this stuff understand and except what happens, the rest have no idea. If you think any spewing here is going to affect his run then you are fighting windmills.

When somebody tackles an Adventure it is theirs if you don't approve of it so what. I drive MEX1, 5 to 8 times per year. All the times I see a bike/walker/runner/cow it has never cost me more then a few minutes. Never even came close to being unsafe. So why are pi$$ing over him running on the road. You think it's unsafe, that's just your point of view.

He is safer on the road then on a motorcycle trail. Every time I see see the guided tours on dirt roads they are flying.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 04:41 PM

The problem with these kinds of threads are the polarization. Not everyone who questions the safety of this kind of venture sits in an arm chair. People think we are nuts for racing the Baja 1000. His adventure is not his alone. there are many other people and commercial trucks on the road that he affects. At the same time all hazards are not going to be removed from this hwy. Drivers need to be cautious. Maybe if these guys can be on the road and be a little more "Mexican", move off the road when traffic is coming we would all be happier.

Hopefully more people will take the middle road on this issue.

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
This guy will be able to give quite a talk when he is done, I would love to share a campfire with him.

I have read a bit of this guys Blog, nowhere is anything about his fear about running along the highway or it being unsafe. Living life in your armchair is different then those that are out doing it. Those that do this stuff understand and except what happens, the rest have no idea. If you think any spewing here is going to affect his run then you are fighting windmills.

When somebody tackles an Adventure it is theirs if you don't approve of it so what. I drive MEX1, 5 to 8 times per year. All the times I see a bike/walker/runner/cow it has never cost me more then a few minutes. Never even came close to being unsafe. So why are pi$$ing over him running on the road. You think it's unsafe, that's just your point of view.

He is safer on the road then on a motorcycle trail. Every time I see see the guided tours on dirt roads they are flying.
dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 06:22 PM

you grumpy old men spend way too much time on the internet to enjoy the Baja, put the machine down and go outside and see what Baja has to offer. As to the biker/walker on hwy 1 "live and let live"
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 06:33 PM

I agree that many are not armchair posters, He should step off the road too. I seen chase trucks behave from good to bad we accept them, why not this guy?

My point is this board will not change his adventure and to discuss what he should or should not do is like me bit-chen about the government or teaching pigs to sing.
The middle of the road is a good place if you are quick.

The problem with these kinds of threads are the polarization. Not everyone who questions the safety of this kind of venture sits in an arm chair. People think we are nuts for racing the Baja 1000. His adventure is not his alone. there are many other people and commercial trucks on the road that he affects. At the same time all hazards are not going to be removed from this hwy. Drivers need to be cautious. Maybe if these guys can be on the road and be a little more "Mexican", move off the road when traffic is coming we would all be happier.

Hopefully more people will take the middle road on this issue.

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 05:28 PM

I have no problem with driving a safe speed. You may have never been south of El Rosario, but I can tell you the laws of physics does not change with going 40 vs 80 when you round a blind curve in those hills and there is a bike in your lane and a semi truck or bus in the other!

It's nothing to do with sharing the road or hitting the brakes as two objects cannot share the same space at the same time.

1) You either hit the bike because stopping before isn't possible as you just rounded a curve and there he is. Kill the biker, and mess up your life... OR
2) You swerve into the other lane and have a head on, die, kill the biker and maybe the truck driver too, mess up your life? OR
3) Swerve off the road, into a rock face or off a cliff, maybe die... and that sure messes up your life, providing for your family, being there for your children or grandchildren.

ALL Because of a free choice someone on a bike or on foot made to use a highway too narrow for safety instead of going a different route.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by David K]

Greetings, David

I had a chat with a Federal once, who informed me that the maximum speed on most of the two-lane highway down Baja is something like 40 kilometers/hour. At that speed, avoiding bicycles would not be a problem, even on blind curves. THAT is what the Mexican government had in mind when they put the road in.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 05:59 PM

problem is . most is 80KPH... Don't do a DK and say someone told you :biggrin:
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 06:18 PM

Run him down like a dog in the street:light:.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 06:25 PM

Well, hitting bikes obviously isn't happening much, otherwise Antonio would let us know... so God has a place in his heart for those who can't wait for the paved shoulder that is being added to Hwy. 1 as we speak.

bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dorado50  
you grumpy old men spend way too much time on the internet to enjoy the Baja, put the machine down and go outside and see what Baja has to offer. As to the biker/walker on hwy 1 "live and let live"

LOL, Fat chance of that ever happening. :lol:

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 07:07 PM

Just visited the jamieisrunning website to read about his adventure. Sure was a whole lot more interesting than this drivel!
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.